Novapoint Vs Autocad Civil 3D

rusty

I've been tasked with updating the company's software, and I currently have the choice between Vianova's Novapoint and Autodesk's Civil 3D.

Novapoint are used in several countries, but are not as widespread as Autodesk programs. Here's a list of countries: http://www.vianova.no/vianova/index.html.

Is there anyone on this site who've tried both programs and could give some recommendations?

We mainly use Novapoint for planning roads and pipes in residential areas. How capable are Civil 3D in these areas?

• 3 months later...

The civil design software industry in Australia is very tight so only good software survives.

What is of interest is that out of the box Australian software often is far superior because it does not go for whiz bang stuff. The list is to long of what options are missing in civil 3d versus our current software.

Which by the way is a 3rd party add on for Civil 3D filling all the holes! American civil designers would be blown away with the tools we have.

Guest Alan Cullen
The civil design software industry in Australia is very tight so only good software survives.

What is of interest is that out of the box Australian software often is far superior because it does not go for whiz bang stuff. The list is to long of what options are missing in civil 3d versus our current software.

Which by the way is a 3rd party add on for Civil 3D filling all the holes! American civil designers would be blown away with the tools we have.

I would have to agree with what BIGAL said......particularly with software like 12D Model....

Would it be possible to link us to the add-on so we can investigate it please?

Or at least a brief overview of its' capabilities.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

I had not caught this thread first time around. You don't sound too fond of the U.S. BIGAL. What Au software were you talking about and why is it so much better?:P

Must admit I was a Civilcad and Autocad dealer for 15 years

Search for 12D, Civilcad and ARD (www.cadapps.com.au) their sites explain better than me the extra options available.

I am not a dealer any more but I currently use Civilcad and ARD certainly aware of other software or add ons to Autocad.

Autodesk provide a tool that others can add onto and this is the case with ARD which we use and meets the design method that we require, one comment ARD allows us to design using multiple road strings, ie left side is designed independant of right side etc.

Also the plotting is extensively configurable but with a lot easier method than the Autocad styles.

What I was trying to say is we just get frustrated that stuff that was always avialable in our other civil software is not avaialble in a world wide product. Around the world every country has a different presentation requirement and I guess every body expects that Autocad will give them that ability out of the box. Await 2010