Expand/contract shape

I am looking for a way to expand/contract a shape, exactly what you would find in Photoshop.

With simple objects, like a circle or rectangle, I can just scale from the center of the object. However, I am trying to expand the outline of a very irregular building. I just want it to be slightly larger ( ~1" all around).

I'm sure there has to be an easier way to do it than trace it free hand :oops:

Let say 5 x 5 square to 6x6!When you use scale command and select object to rectangle.Then pick base point to one corner then type "r" for scale reference and

you can type "5" or pick base point and select pick point to end of distance 5 corner.Then type "6" for new length.Finally you will see 6x6 square.

If 5x7 or unbalance shape,you can change only single distance 5 or 7 to change new length and other length will be change proportionally!

Yeah, unless I'm doing it wrong, it doesn't work how I'd like :(

I have had problems, and unless I remember continue to do so, involving objects that have Z coordinate and when OSNAP is turned on and implicitly snaps to points.

Try it now, and let us know the outcome, please.:)

^ I've tried both your suggestion, and papagyi's as well. I can't seem to get it the way I need.

Take a look at the following picture:

autocadgr9.png

The red line is the trace of the building. The blue line, I free-handed. You can see that because I did a crappy job, lol. The spacing between lines is not uniform at all, and the angles are wrong.

I want to take the red line, and turn it into the blue line, or vice versa.

When I do scale reference, I get this: (blue is original, red is scaled)

autocad2em3.png

You actually need to offset the line(s).

Scale is working; its just scaling the object from the base point you selected.

To use the scale function I think you would need scientific calculations to work out the exact centre.

^ yeah, but the scale isn't correct.

So far it looks like the best solution is to explode the pline, offset all the little lines, filet them together, and then pedit it to get the width back.

I was hoping there was an easier solution, lol.