set custom path

samifox

Hi

I want to configure autocad to save files to predefined location, for example,

When plotting I want it to start in a specific location and not in “my document” folder

when opening I want to start in the project location.

I look at the MYDOCUMENTSPREFIX variable , and its read only, why is that?

Wouldn't you first have to change the "Start in" location as defined in the Properties for you AutoCAD desktop shortcut? And then wouldn't you also have to make sure that the value for the system variable REMEMBERFOLDERS is set to "1" and not "0"?

Wouldn't you first have to change the "Start in" location as defined in the Properties for you AutoCAD desktop shortcut? And then wouldn't you also have to make sure that the value for the system variable REMEMBERFOLDERS is set to "1" and not "0"?

i didnt mean when i lunch autocad but when i first open a new template and save it

MYDOCUMENTSPREFIX is just noting your "My Documents" folder location, so that's why its read only.

For plotting to PDF or DWF, use the publish or Sheet Set Manager commands - their options allow you to determine the path to save to.

"when opening I want to start in the project location."

My mistake. I must have misread that line.

How about Options > Files > Template Settings?

Wouldn't it be Automatic Save File Location? A drawing isn't a template after all.

"when opening I want to start in the project location."

My mistake. I must have misread that line.

How about Options > Files > Template Settings?

saving a template can be define there but what about saving a drawing? actually i want to write a lisp that ask for the project id and home folder, from this point i want this path to be the root for all my output files defualt

The OP asked about templates. "...when i first open a new template and save it"

All I did is indicate one possible option for influencing the path of a template.

OK...so we are back to asking about saving a drawing, not a template, to a specific folder. I fully understand you now. Well, until you change your mind again.

Sami did you check Automatic Save File Location?

That is just a location for your Automatic saves (if you have them set) and on successful close of the drawing they are not retained.

That is just a location for your Automatic saves (if you have them set) and on successful close of the drawing they are not retained.

Oh, my bad. I wasn't sure myself but thanks for letting me know.

Hi again

I apologize for all the misunderstanding (I actually writing it while looking left and right before anybody can see my monitor and tell it to my boss:)

OBJECTIVE:

Predefine default folder for each new project. the term “default folder” refer to the root folder in which AutoCAD start its dialog box location in the current session and include the following :

• Save as

• Plot

• Xref

• E-transmit

Hope tis clearer now

Thanks

shay

Right click the icon you start AutoCAD from and click properties. Under the "shortcut" tab in the box called "start in:" enter the path that you want AutoCAD to be defaulted to when you save.

Right click the icon you start AutoCAD from and click properties. Under the "shortcut" tab in the box called "start in:" enter the path that you want AutoCAD to be defaulted to when you save.

great...that what i want but without the need to start autocad all over again

session based

I don't think that is possible. "Save as" is always great for choosing a file location. :lol: You should set the shortcut to the folder you want and restart AutoCAD. Wont take but two minutes for you to do it.

what you mean?

Go to Open a file in AutoCAD, a dialog pops up, the left hand side is the Favorites area. Navigate to a project, drag and drop there, you now have a shortcut to that project. Repeat for other project folders.