MEP AutoCAD export to 3DS Max - Pipes and Valves are segmented and not realistic

GLC

Hi, new user here. I am having trouble rendering assemblies in 3ds Max 2014 which we drew in AutoCAD MEP 2014.

When I import our Fabrication specific pipes and valves into 3ds Max (DWG-to 3ds max) everything imports properly. However, the objects and pipes look polygonal and segmented (see attachment). Is there any way to decrease the segments on the pipes to make them look smooth? Ive been researching for a while now with no luck:?. Thanks.

RPBP 0B PR.jpg

When you import your CAD file, the DWG/DXF Import Options dialog will open. Under "Geometry Options", set "Curve Steps" to 20 and "Maximum Surface Deviation" to 0.01". Give that a try and see if you get better results.

Import.jpg

Hi, new user here. I am having trouble rendering assemblies in 3ds Max 2014 which we drew in AutoCAD MEP 2014.

When I import our Fabrication specific pipes and valves into 3ds Max (DWG-to 3ds max) everything imports properly. However, the objects and pipes look polygonal and segmented (see attachment). Is there any way to decrease the segments on the pipes to make them look smooth? Ive been researching for a while now with no luck:?. Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44170[/ATTACH]

You have to keep in mind that the checked box in the import options: "auto-smooth adjacent faces Smooth Angle"

This number relates to the smoothing effect on your geometry, so if the number is set to 15degrees then you'd need enough curve steps to ensure that the angle between faces is more than 15 degrees otherwise it will appear as a hard edge.

So you'd need more than 24 segments (360/15= 24) to not appear segmented.

A more efficient approach would be to up the smoothing threshold. You could probably get away with leaving your geometry as it is and just smooth using 30degree threshold.

Do it in the import options or using the smooth modifier.

Just keep in mind that if you set the smooth angle too high then you can smooth areas that you don't want.