Autocad de-activation

STEPHEN SNYMAN

Hi,

I am trying to transfer a stand alone copy of autocad 2013 from one machine to another. I have already uninstalled it from the old pc, and when I got to install it on the new pc it asks for registration. When I put in the numbers it tells me that it is not valid.

How can i De-activate it from the old pc if it is already uninstalled?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

You should normally run the Licence Transfer Utility before uninstalling AutoCAD. See if the Licence Transfer Utility is still on your old computer, but I doubt it. To check if it is still there click on the Windows Start button, then Programs, then expand the Autodesk folder and see if AutoCAD 2013 is still there. If so expand the folder on the Licence Transfer Utility entry and follow the instructions that will appear on your screen. If it is not there you will need to contact your dealer and get him to help you. Did you install AutoCAD from the same DVD that was used for installing AutoCAD on your old computer? You will need your serial number and product key to install AutoCAD.

Serial number is invalid message usually mean that your serial number is already upgraded to new version. In your case, your serial number is already upgraded to 2014 version.

There could be other reason, but this is the most common reason that I found.

If you can check your new serial number from subscription center, then you can install AutoCAD 2014 and activate it.

If you still want to use AutoCAD 2013, you need to fill this form to get your activation code: http://www.autodesk.com/licensesupport

The OP says nothing about being on Subscription so why would his serial number be upgraded?

The OP say very little! Let's see what he comes back with. I get the feeling he doesn't have the original media, but I could be wrong.

The original code won't work because it is a one-time-use only. The OP should try going through the online registration/activation process which should generate a message telling him there is a problem activating his license at this time and to contact AutoDesk. It will take up to 48 hours for AutoDesk to get back to him at which time he can tell them what he his situation is. He should have no problem getting a activation code. In the meantime he has a full 30 days of use just like a trial version before he gets locked out of the program. It is more than enough time to get the problem straightened out.

Use the license transfer on the old machine (AutoCAD will default to a trial version).

Install AutoCAD on the new machine as a trial version.

Use the license transfer to the new machine.

Un-install AutoCAD from the old machine.

Does this help?

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the help....

It is not a subscription license and for 2013 only.

I do have the original media.

There is no license transfer on the old machine as I uninstalled it on that machine already.

Think I am going to have to run it as a trail version and then go through the autodesk help to get it sorted.

Will let you know how i go...

You'll still have full functionality and it should be no more than two days to getting it all resolved. I know as I've had the problem myself. You just need to explain in your return email what you did and you'll get the new activation code sent to you via email.

Use the license transfer on the old machine (AutoCAD will default to a trial version).

Install AutoCAD on the new machine as a trial version.

Use the license transfer to the new machine.

Un-install AutoCAD from the old machine.

Does this help?

It would help but...as the OP stated he already uninstalled it from his old computer which, in hindsight, was not the best thing to do.

Try installing the software again on the old machine and with a bit of luck the activation will still be in the registry which will then give you an active installation. You can then run the Licence Transfer Utility and get your licence on your new machine, you will of course need an internet connection and your AutoCAD ID. The theory is that you transfer your licence back to Autodesk from your old machine and then use the Licence Transfer Utility on the trial version on your new machine to retrieve the licence from Autodesk. I've done it several times and it always worked without a hitch. The older method (prior to 2007, I think) was to transfer the licence to a floppy disc and use that to get it onto the new machine. But God forbid that you lost the floppy or it became unusable. Autodesk scrapped that because they had no control on whom the licence was being transferred to and it's illegal to resell the software anyway. I'm not saying that I agree with that philosophy, but that is the way it is at the moment.

It would help but...as the OP stated he already uninstalled it from his old computer which, in hindsight, was not the best thing to do.

ReMark, you know that and I know that and I will bet the OP does not do it again. We all learn from our mistakes.

I was not castigating the OP. I've have done the same thing myself and that's how I learned.

I understand that ReMark. I've done it myself, that's how I learned, the hard way. My advantage was that we were on subscription and a quick question to Autodesk had it sorted out in no time. I've also had a corrupt floppy.

I have found AutoCAD to be perfectly reasonable in issuing activation codes.

I had a hard disk start to go, and managed to mirror the data to a new computer. When I started AutoCAD it generated a request code, which I sent off to AutoCAD who then issued an activation code. I suppose that registering the serial number and staying at the same address and e-mail might have helped, even though it was an old version.

I have had one 2009 LT license on three different new machines since it was brand new. One move to a new desktop in 2012 was due to a hardware failure, and one laptop install in 2013 is for mobility. I currently am running on that laptop, and my desktop. I have never bothered to uninstall it from anything. Technically my program is installed on three computers. I have never run the license transfer utility either. At first, I thought the utility didn't exist in 2009 but it is there.

Maybe my program is so old they don't keep track of it any more?

All I have ever had to do is type in the serial/activation number on the box lid to get running during these repeat installations. My license agreement says I can install the program on at least two machines at the same time. (It also ludicrously tells me not to use them at the same time.) What they really want though is for me not to "loan out" one copy of the program.

Between the last two installations, all my contact info changed as well, still no problems.

None of that is a solution, of course. I just wonder why people get hosed up doing this.

I know earlier releases just required a serial number and CD key to get the program to run. There was no connecting to the Internet to download an activation code.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Guys,

Sorry it has been so long, but just wanted to post the end result for anyone who reads this in the future..

I reinstalled Autocad 2013 from the media again onto the old pc that I originally uninstalled from. Easly ran the license utility tool (like I was suppose to do in the first place) and once that was done I uninstalled the software. Then I started up the new pc and ran the LUT and went through the steps and it worked no problems :)

Thanks for all the help and the feedback.

Steve

HI Guys,

Sorry it has been so long, but just wanted to post the end result for anyone who reads this in the future..

I reinstalled Autocad 2013 from the media again onto the old pc that I originally uninstalled from. Easly ran the license utility tool (like I was suppose to do in the first place) and once that was done I uninstalled the software. Then I started up the new pc and ran the LUT and went through the steps and it worked no problems :)

Thanks for all the help and the feedback.

Steve

Glad to hear that Steve and thanks for coming back to let us know how it panned out. I've had that once before a long time ago when AutoCAD was, for one reason or another, removed from one machine and half a year later it was needed on that machine again and a simple reinstall did not require the software to be activated again. Somewhere in the registry it had saved the activation. Perhaps someone with better knowledge knows if a clean uninstall as described by Autodesk would remove the activation from the registry. Perhaps I'm a pessimist but I would leave the uninstall on the old machine until after I had AutoCAD up and running on the new machine.