How often is it normal for AutoCAD to Freeze?

Sbeth85

I think the motherboard of this computer is at fault. When the tech people attempted to switch out the graphic card, for some reason the motherboard didn't recognize the switch.

In any case the problem will hopefully be solved on the new system!

But now I'll have to get used to Windows 8... :huh:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sbeth85

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• mikekmx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what I've heard, I wouldn't get Windows 8. 8.1 was just released. This is the first time they've done a *.1 instead of a service pack. People are saying Windows 8(.1) could be comparative to the fiascos that were Vista or ME.

That choice is yours. Windows 8 is a lot different from 7. IMHO 7 is a solid OS. 8 is designed with touch screen monitors in mind and from what I hear has a lot of shortcomings so I am waiting until the bugs get shaken out before making the leap. If I used a touch screen monitor, I might give it a try.

I'm of the mind a company should not switch over to a new OS until it has been thoroughly vetted by both the IT department and the CAD Manager.

I thank God for all of the individual users who sacrifice themselves upon the altar of Microsoft by jumping on a new OS as soon as it is released. I don't care how much beta testing MS does. Until the OS is in the hands of the everyday user, installed on hundreds of thousands of systems we'll never know how well it works. My sincere thanks to all you lab rats. Honestly, THANK YOU for being human guinea pigs for modern technology.

All of the above said with tongue-in-cheek. No offense intended.

Awesome comment, ReMark :P

I'm a solid fan on Win7, I have it on my laptop at home and love it.

I don't think I get much of a choice regarding the new computer... and there's no AutoCAD manager here or whatever.

Well, let's just hope that AutoCAD runs smoothly on it.

As the CAD tech I would hope you would have at least some say in regards to any new computer. CAD techs put more demands on their computers than a bean counter or an "executive aide". Hard drives should be bigger (in capacity) and faster. The computer should have more RAM and a better graphics card. Even your monitor should be above and beyond what an engineer might be use to. Be an advocate for your profession.

As the CAD tech I would hope you would have at least some say in regards to any new computer. CAD techs put more demands on their computers than a bean counter or an "executive aide". Hard drives should be bigger (in capacity) and faster. The computer should have more RAM and a better graphics card. Even your monitor should be above and beyond what an engineer might be use to. Be an advocate for your profession.

agreed. unless your IT ppl have experience of AutoCAD they will have no idea at all of it's requirements and they will most likely ignore any advice you try to give them.

-to the OP..... others may experience different, but i have found mid-level gaming graphics cards to run AutoCAD very well and they are not expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

It could also be a conflict with the ram that was installed, I had a similar prob about a year ago when I went to 16gb ram.

I had to remove 8 to get everything working again.

D