OLD autocad Newbie

jamesan

I have a version 2.5 autocad that I got at a yardsale. It came with 5 floppy discs. I loaded them onto my computer, and now can't figure out exactly how to get it started. I click on a dos file and it welcomes me, then in dos format ask about my graphics, and then about interrupts. I do not know anything about interrupts, so that is where I stop. Yes, after about 45 seconds I am already lost.

Is it worth my time to try and get this old version working or not? I have no previous experience with autocad, but it would come in very handy for me 4 or 5 times a year.

AutoCAD running under DOS. Haven't seen that in ages. Don't forget you'll probably have to tweak your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files too and to really get it smokin' you may even have to run a memory manager like QEMM.

I think it would be a good exercise to try and get it running as a lark but even for the 4 or 5 times a year you might need it you would have to jump back into the DOS days of computers. Try to find a LT version of AutoCAD. I think I saw one on craiglist.hartford for $150. It was a 2005 version. Check under computers.

From the IRQ Book by Kate Chase published by McGraw-Hill copyright 1999:

"An interrupt acts as a signal to the CPU or processor to indicate that a device requires its attention."

What kind of computer would you be trying to run AutoCAD 2.5 on and what DOS version would you be using?

Are you familiar with DOS commands?

I am not familiar with Dos commands.

The book says that it runs under PC-dos, MS-dos, and unix operating systems.

The latest copyright of the reference manual is 1987.

If I can get this to run easily, I will use it. But I am beginning to think I should get something else.

I would run it under MS-DOS version 5.0 if you are considering trying it at all. Although, date-wise, you could probably run it under version 3.0 as well.

Have you tried running it on a Commodore 64?

???? I thought they only had tap decks to run their programs. At least that what i remember from my childhood.

As for runnin it in dos-mode now, would DOSBox be any good?

I am not familiar with Dos commands.

The book says that it runs under PC-dos, MS-dos, and unix operating systems.

The latest copyright of the reference manual is 1987.

If I can get this to run easily, I will use it. But I am beginning to think I should get something else.

If you need a cheap/free version of CAD there are some that you can download. What exactly do you want to do with this copy of CAD? Maybe we can steer you in a particular direction.

Cheers :)

Navigate to the Acad file folder.

Is there an acad.exe file?

At the dos prompt acad.exe, hit enter.

I did a lot of dos work but, years ago.

Good luck.

Stay in the world of "Windows" and save yourself some headaches.

I checked "craigslist hartford" this morning. Under the heading FOR SALE, in the Computers category I found an entry dated Nov 23 for AutoCAD LT 2005. The asking price was $90. That is a freakin' bargin. The seller includes a picture of everything he is including so I recommend that you check it out. My Thanksgiving gift to you is the link below:

http://hartford.craigslist.org/sys/930841392.html

If you still insist on trying to use AutoCAD 2.5 then I suggest you buy the paperback book Using AutoCAD 2.5 written by James Edward Fuller. You can find a good used copy at Amazon for $4.88 (U.S.) plus $3.99 for shipping and handling. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0827329423/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I have a copy LT 12 for students that I could part with he he needs a copy for windows. I hate to say it but if this is just to play with and learn on that ProgeCAD smart (free) might be the way to go.

How about looking for Auto Sketch 9. My copy is an excellent version of AutoCAD and the files are interchangable. I bet a copy of the software could be bought for a reasonable price.

Thanks for all the replys. I did not expect that many. I believe I am not going to screw with this version. Time to take the advise of many and get a newer free or cheap version. I really just need to be able to draw simple drawings, but I want to be able to overlay my drawings as well.

Any thoughts on something simple to use and cheap that will do overlays?

Overlays? What do you mean by those?

Thanks for all the replys. I did not expect that many. I believe I am not going to screw with this version. Time to take the advise of many and get a newer free or cheap version. I really just need to be able to draw simple drawings, but I want to be able to overlay my drawings as well.

Any thoughts on something simple to use and cheap that will do overlays?

ProgeCAD Smart, free for personal use.

http://www.progecad.com/compra/index.asp?left=prodotti/eng_progecad2008smart&abspage=1&lang=eng

Google SketchUp for 3D modeling.

http://sketchup.google.com/