Can't get Angular dimension to work.

gotchy

Will someone please tell me why after selecting Dimension, Angular, then selecting two lines, I do not get the angle between them? I am using v 2000 if it matters. I enclose a screen shot of the two lines I need the angle of.

Thank you,

gotchy

Image00743.JPG

Some of these might be your issue.

Both lines have to be in the same work space, paper or model.

Make sure the lines are co-planar, on the same plane, equal z values at both ends of both lines.

Is that green line a dimension extension line? If so, that won't work.

A work around would be to just draw an extra line on top of the one that is failing.

Thank you all for your response.

Actually I did try the work-around with negative results. I am wondering if maybe this is a bug in my software and maybe needs a re-installation? I enclose a screen-grab of the attempt.

gotchy

Work Around.JPG

Thank you all for your response.

Actually I did try the work-around with negative results. I am wondering if maybe this is a bug in my software and maybe needs a re-installation? I enclose a screen-grab of the attempt.

gotchy

Those dimensions are pretty large scale for the area you are working in. I think your cursor is just not finding the line. It may be getting a snap from somewhere else close by, or it can't find anything but extension lines in that tight space. So you found all the conditions in post #2 to be OK?

Remark is right. Uninstalling and re-installing would be like repainting a brand new car when the tire pressure is low.

One option you might try is the 3-point specification rather than line selection.

Select arc, circle, line or ENTER

press enter

Select the vertex, then an endpoint, then the other endpoint.

Could you tell us where to find the 3-point option? When I attempt to create an angular dimension I see this as the command line...

Command: _dimangular

Select arc, circle, line, or :

Seems my version is missing the option.

gotchy: I requested a copy of your DWG file two and a half hours ago. Where is it? Or did you manage to solve the problem on your own and fail to update us?

Mark,

I'm on an older version so I'm pretty certain the prompt has changed but I would guess it works the same. Press enter at the prompt. (What's in the braces are accepted as default)

If I do nothing other than hit Enter (which I did not do before) I am prompted to "Specify angle vertex". Is this what you are referring to?

OK....I got it to work. Learn something new every day here. Thanks.

As JDM would say, "A drawing file would erase all doubt." Attach one....soon. We ain't getting any younger.

Sorry, the upload of the drawing file fails.

gotchy

Sorry, the upload of the drawing file fails.

gotchy

Are you using IE 10? If so switch to chrome or firefox. I can't upload anything using IE 10.

Also, it may be too big. Do a Save As "Forum.dwg" or something, and delete most everything but that little area, purge, and try uploading the resulting smaller file.

We do not need the entire drawing. So, if file size is an issue, pare the drawing down to just a couple examples of where the problem occurs, purge the drawing, save it under a new name and attach it to your next post. Hurry.....the light is fading fast.

• 9 years later...

I discovered another cause of the same problem. I was working on a drawing exported from Inventor, and Inventor often turns simple lines into splines. It had done that with one of the lines I was using to dimension an angle. AutoCAD wouldn't dimension an angle between a line and a spline, but didn't show any error to help identify the problem. The fix was just to draw a line over the spline, and delete the spline.