Tool Palette Problem

MEMFIS

I've looked through the forum a bit and have been able to find my question, but not a definite answer (if there is one). I just changed computers and reinstalled AutoCAD LT 07 onto it. I swapped from XP to 7. I've finally gotten all my old menus, blocks, etc. swapped over and everything works as it should in the template file (DWT). When I save a drawing to a DWG file, while the block icons and names in my tool palette appear, they become unusable. Any idea what stupid thing I'm doing?

Can you be more specific when you say "unusable"? Are they inserting into the Drawing, or no? Blocks that reside on Tool Palettes are referencing a hard directory path. On the Tool Palette, right-click on the Block and click "Properties". Make sure the Path is correctly pointing to the DWG file where the block is saved.

File cannot be found. Why would it work as a template but not otherwise? The source file in properties references a DWT file. Can this be changed?

Can this be changed?
Yes, absolutely. In any Tool Palette, you can Ctrl+Select the first block, scroll to the bottom and Shift+Select the last block to highlight them all, then right-click any one of the blocks as they are still highlighted and click Properties. In the dialog box that appears, where it says "Source File" click once inside the directory path. Notice to the right, the Browse icon appears. Click there and navigate to the new location of the DWT file and you're all set.

Thanks. One more noob question while I'm here.. When I edit a block the changes only appear in the DWG template file. the block still works everywhere else but without the changes. Is there a simple answer for this?

Once a Block exists in a Drawing, you must edit the host drawing block, not the source drawing block. Any revised block of the same name will inherit the existing block in any existing drawing when you insert it. So you must update the existing block, or delete all block instances and use the Purge tool to completely remove the block reference from the existing drawing. Once you do that, THEN the revised source block will insert reflecting the changes you made.