Blocks

waterman1970

This seems stupid I was doing it fine once before now when I create my blocks and go to insert I type in the coordinates ad nothing appears, but if I leave them at all zero's and just hit enter it appears off to the side way off, can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong it went so easy the first time but did not get a grade they said it was very incorrect so I re doing it and saw some of my mistakes now this is holding me up please help

Most probably you drew the items far from origin (0, 0, 0) and didn't picked a closer point as base point when defined the block, thus letting AutoCAD use origin instead.

For this reason, when you insert it, will be placed very far from indicated point, sometime outside of visible area.

my guess is the same as MSasu's.

There are at least rwo ways to correct this. I prefer to do the following.

Open your block with BEDIT.

You should see the block on your screen.

MOVE - select everything and pick somewhere sensible as your base point, a corner or the centre etc.

#0,0 (note the #) this moves everything TO 0,0. Your screen will probably now be blank.

zoom extents You should now see your block

Exit the block editor redefining the block on the way.

INSERT another instance of your block.

If this works train yourself to set the insertion point when you make the block.