Revit Versioning

Mike_Taylor

Can't turn it off but you can do a Save As > Options > Maximum Backups and set it to one, which acts like a *.BAK file in AutoCAD. There are plugins and add-ons that auto-move these backups to a directory of choice, etc. if you want to scour Google a bit. They're free, usually.

Hmm, I'll have to find some work around I guess. Our file management system does a much more advanced type of version which we prefer to use, and because of the way Revit handles it, we no longer have a history of the file.

I hear you man... we fight ProjectWise, a Bentley product in my office. Always finding workarounds... only difference in you and I is that we do NOT prefer to use.

The thing about Revit you need to grasp early is this: all these "3rd party tools" that makes Windows Explorer, file backups, server-side collaboration efforts, etc... Revit already does ALL of this right out of the box. So all Revit needs is Windows Explorer and it handles the rest. As soon as you have one extra "add-on" to the natural Windows environment, Revit could suffer the consequences.

I hear you man... we fight ProjectWise, a Bentley product in my office. Always finding workarounds... only difference in you and I is that we do NOT prefer to use.

The thing about Revit you need to grasp early is this: all these "3rd party tools" that makes Windows Explorer, file backups, server-side collaboration efforts, etc... Revit already does ALL of this right out of the box. So all Revit needs is Windows Explorer and it handles the rest. As soon as you have one extra "add-on" to the natural Windows environment, Revit could suffer the consequences.

I will potentially call up Autodesk support and see if there is a potential way this can be disabled. We purchased our file management system in order to have consistent and accurate document control, and this breaks that uniformity. Plus there is some API integration we are looking a developing that will give us more flexibility and control with versioning and major/minor drawing revisions.