Help with a specific problem.

MstrKurt

Hey guys.

I'm new here using a student edition of AutoCAD and need to get a hang of it (not to an extremely high level but enough to produce good work)

I've done a lot of research on myself but nothing I find seems to solve this specific problem for me:

I need to create a bevel of sorts that would be similar to palm places. I have attached an image to try and illustrate what I'm trying to create.

The closest way I've found is to create a curve and revolve it 360 degrees then use Solid, Subtract tool to do the subtraction, but I need an odd shape (One that's not a perfect sphere)

Is there any way I can stretch one side of the revolution larger so that it meets the other curved line?.

CAD.jpg

Well you could always extrude a curve of the shape you need as a surface and use it to slice the 3D model you originally created. Keep what you need and delete the rest.

Slice > Surface option.

I'm unsure what you're suggesting as I'm new to AutoCAD. I've what I need done very simply in SolidWorks using the Extrude-Cut command but can't find anything similar on AutoCAD.

The command is called SLICE and one of its options is SURFACE so it's slicing an object (a 3D solid model) using a surface as the cutting edge. What's nice is the surface can be an extruded line, or an extruded polyline and I think it could even be an extruded spline. But anyway, position the surface such that when it is extruded it passes through your object then invoke the SLICE command.

Hey I managed to do it!.

For anyone else who has a similar problem: I extruded the curve I wanted down as far as I needed (while leaving a little space at the bottom) and then used the Solid Subtract so that a basic curve was cut out of the box. At this point you should have the general shape of the bevel you're after however it will be very edgy. Use the Fillet Edge tool to then smooth out them edgy parts and you have what you seek :)

Also, thanks for your help ReMark!.

All the credit is yours. I was just keeping you company until you solved the problem! LoL

Glad to hear you got it solved. Thanks for updating us. Post an image of the finished product when completed. :)