Referencing Attributes

BrentonJohn316

I would like to know if there is a way to make a link between attributes so that text will only need to be entered once to update 2 areas with the same text.

Does this make sense?

Thanks! I took a look at that post. I could not seem to make my block work properly though

Right now we input the same text twice in the title block:

The project information in typed in the main title area of the titleblock, and then retyped in the bottom righthand corner of the title block.

Will your post #24 address this? I know I might be doing something wrong...

The principle will be the same. In order to get an attribute to read the value of another in a block you have to perform a dynamic action on the block, and the attribute values have to be set correctly.

The exact details for your block will no doubt vary, if you can post a block, I'll take a look if you would like.

The third paragraph in his post is the part you are looking for I think.

Right click in the default box for "TITLE2" and select insert field. In the field dialogue that opens select "object" from the left column (you might need to scroll to find it). The dialogue will change, next click on the select object icon at the top center of the dialogue, this will close the dialogue so that you can select your block. After selecting your block,the field dialogue will automatically open again and the center column will now be populated with all the attributes properties. Pick the attribute called -Titulo. The attribute dialogue will reappear with the four "----" click ok and thats it.

I changed what he said a little to make it slightly more understandable and I put a picture so you can see what he is talking about. Color coded of course. :)

Example.jpg

Nearly, it's the first attribute you need to select not the block, and you need one or other dynamic action in the block to make it work. In the original attribute you should only have "lock position" (1) selected, but the second attribute you also need to turn "preset" to yes, otherwise when you insert the block it will cancel the field value.

When creating the second attribute click on the button highlighted as (2) and the field dialogue will open, select object (3) from the list and then click on button (4) this will close the dialogues and you can select the original attribute, the dialogues will come back into view and you then scroll down the center column to find Value (5). Click OK twice to insert the second attribute into the drawing.

You can do this same procedure from within an existing block, this example was just creating 2 attributes in model space. Then make these attributes into a block that has a dynamic action. Insert the block, fill in the value for the original attribute and then perform some dynamic action (visibilty state,stretch,move it doesn't matter - I used a stretch action that only stretches itself) after a regen the 2nd attribute will now have the same value as the first. You only need perform the dynamic action once, after that you can change the first attribute and the second one will update after a regen.

2attributes.PNG

2attributes.dwg

Hm.. I've never had to do that many steps. Wouldn't that do pretty much the same thing? All he wants is to be able to update one and have the others update as well. I was assuming he already had the attributes in the drawing. Yours is assuming that he is going to insert them if I'm not mistaken. Both ways should do exactly what he needs.

Fields work fine for me. Right click on "default" attribute value and "Insert Field". Link it with value of any other attribute. It gets refreshed after regen.

I think both of you are working with the idea of putting the attribute into an existing block (or reading the value into a field outside the block), which as you say works fine. But it wont hold up when you insert the block. The idea is to be able to insert a block, and be prompted for an attribute value, then have that value automatically used in another or several other attributes. If you can do it without the dynamic action, please show me how and post an example, because I use this a lot and it would save me loads of time and effort. But it has to work directly from an inserted block.

Well, I don't really ever insert blocks. I normally just copy pasta. I should try your method though because it seems like it would work a little better.

For the attribute s-title make the value constant=no, insert the block and change the visibility state then regen, works fine here.

Attributes working together are very fussy about the settings

Well that works now! Gosh...didn't think that kind of thing would be that difficult. Thanks for the help, sorry for the idiot moments I had!