Exported Drawing Order

Mase123y

The drawing order of objects is defined when you create an object. This order is also the plot order I suspect which also makes it the order which it gets exported for other programs to draw the defined objects.

My issue is that I need to order every object so it can be imported into measuring software for manufacturable parts. How can I specifically order every object on my drawing? So far the only thing that works is to recopy every object one at a time in the order I need them. When you copy objects they get placed last on the drawing order. But how do I change the order of existing objects? Using the command Draw Order and "Bring to Front" "Send to Back" in the order that I want does not seem to work. Also is there a way to know the Draw Order list?

The "Draw Order" command is a throw back to the days of pen plotters. It has been replaced with "Display Order". A custom LISP may be what you need, if it is even possible.

The drawing order of objects is defined when you create an object. This order is also the plot order I suspect which also makes it the order which it gets exported for other programs to draw the defined objects.

My issue is that I need to order every object so it can be imported into measuring software for manufacturable parts. How can I specifically order every object on my drawing? So far the only thing that works is to recopy every object one at a time in the order I need them. When you copy objects they get placed last on the drawing order. But how do I change the order of existing objects? Using the command Draw Order and "Bring to Front" "Send to Back" in the order that I want does not seem to work. Also is there a way to know the Draw Order list?

Do you issue a regen command after executing the draworder command? The draw order set of commands does work, but AutoCad doesn't update the screen image automatically, to save machine resources. Even if you don't do a regen, the objects will still assume the new order even though it is not displayed. I also would suggest issuing a regen before doing draworder. Sometimes the screen will fool you. What you see is not always what you get, nor necessarily what you already have..

The "Draw Order" command is a throw back to the days of pen plotters. It has been replaced with "Display Order". A custom LISP may be what you need, if it is even possible.
Just curious as to when that happened?

The attached screen shot is from Autocad Vanilla, not LT, but might help to shed a little light on Draw Order behavior, and available optional settings for the DRAWORDERCTL system variable.

draworderctl controls that.jpg

If I cant get draw order to work properly then the only way I can see it is a custom macro to copy, paste and delete the original. I searched the internet and found this but Im not sure how to get it working properly as Autocad 2013 does not know what "auto" is in the select command that this macro is trying to say.

^C^C_select;_auto;\_move;_p;;\\_copy;_p;;_m;@;\

From the help menu does it not need to go in since its default? The macro was copied from another response with a similar problem.

Auto

Switches to automatic selection: pointing to an object selects the object. Pointing to a blank area inside or outside an object forms the first corner of a box defined by the Box method. Auto and Add are the default methods.

One thing about the Draw Order not working properly. As Im exporting my drawings to my measuring software it seems like the Draw Order only works after I turn my part into a Block then explode it.

Why would you use that macro? It has nothing at all to do with draw order. What do you actually want to happen with the draw order anyways? I think you will find what you're looking for in Dadgad's picture that he provided.

The draw order is originally based on the object creation so if you copy an object and delete the original then it moves the object to the bottom of the database and forces it to be last on the draw order. I believe that DRAWORDERCTL that Dadgad mentioned is only useful for editing/creating objects, not changing the order of existing objects but I may be wrong.

From the looks of it, you should change your DRAWORDERCTL = 2. Read the information in the picture Dadgad posted. If that variable equals 2 then any object created from another object will have the same draw order as the object it was made from if I'm understanding it correctly.