Stretch Multiple Rectangles at the same time?

toberino

I will change the title to something more appropriate later.

I have been creating rectangles using rec and because it is a polyline I get the "midpoint" nodes which I need to keep. I often have to modify these by increasing their length or shortening them, large numbers of them at times. Currently I have to select each "midpoint", of the rectangle, one at a time in order to change all of their lengths at one time.

1.jpg

6.jpg

I am trying to find a faster way to select the "midpoint" of several rectangles or some other way instead of the individual method that I have been using. I've tried trim, extend, and stretch. Maybe there is another that I am not considering.

Trim removes the bottom line completely and retains only 3 sides so this doesn't work.

4.jpg

Extend does the same thing and stretch works very different than what I am trying to do.

This is my exercise:

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

I was wondering if anyone knows of a faster way to do this?

3.jpg

5.jpg

If as your images show, the rectangles are all lined up and need to change by the same amount then stretch is the correct command, you only say it works differently than you need, why, what does it do that is wrong? I cannot think of another method of doing it.

I would use STRETCH with a crossing window selection, and you can do them all at once, no problem.

Or am I missing something?

In addition to steven-g's post, it will work even if they are not lined up,

although the selection might not be as simple.

Just use a crossing window or windows that include all 3 grips of any sides you want to move.

It is the selection of the midpoints by themselves which is causing you grief.

Use a crossing window, from right to left.

You can stretch as many separate items as you want with a single or multiple window stretch command selection set,

as long as they are all meant to be stretched by the same distance.

multiple window stretch.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

I think I might be missing something too.

How about attaching a copy of the drawing in question to your next post so we can all see the problem you are facing? It would be a big help. Please and thank you.

If you are accessing the STRETCH option from the dynamic grip (hover) drop down menu, you are out of luck.

It initiates GRIP STRETCHING of the hot grip you have selected, and turned red.

You cannot do this if there is a HOT (red) grip, whether or not you use the drop down hot grip menu,

or the default stretch action.

Use the commandline, ribbon or toolbar to initiate the STRETCH command, then make your crossing window selection

or crossing windows selections. Once you do that you will have no problem doing a multiple object stretch.

Dadgad is spot on again.

If you only select the grips you required moved, it will move. If you select the wrong ones, undesirable results will happen. eg trapezoid rectangles, skewed lines.. ETC

I find if I use a crossing window and select all of the grips with one crossing window, the command is flawless. If I select multiple spots separately, sometimes it does not stretch.

The safest option for me is to type: STRETCH into the commandline first and then select with crossing window.

Edited by khama

Ok, I must be missing something with stretch. I will try again.

Looking at your screenshots again, I notice that you seem to have 3 HOT GRIPS (displaying as red),

and I am not sure how you were able to do that. I am unable to heat up more than one at a time.

Remember any HOT GRIPS will derail your STRETCH intention.

I notced that on the Ribbon (which I don't use) on the Modify panel MSTRETCH is an available option.

You don't need to use that, the regular STRETCH command can do it.

Edited by Dadgad

Looking at your screenshots again, I notice that you seem to have 3 HOT GRIPS (displaying as red),

and I am not sure how you were able to do that. I am unable to heat up more than one at a time.

Remember any HOT GRIPS will derail your STRETCH intention.

If you hold the SHIFT key while selecting the grips you can select multiple grips...

If you hold the SHIFT key while selecting the grips you can select multiple grips...

Thanks Spaj. :)

I am not sure when I would have occasion to use it, but you are right, that does do it.

ok, the stretch command is working the way I want it to now. I think I was over complicating it. It is finicky with the selection order and method and I did not realize my mistake was actually the way I was selecting things. Thank you all for your help! This should save me some time.

I will change the title to something more appropriate later.

Well, I was going to change it but apparently I cannot edit the thread title. Maybe one of the moderators can change the title to something more appropriate.

ok, the stretch command is working the way I want it to now. I think I was over complicating it. It is finicky with the selection order and method and I did not realize my mistake was actually the way I was selecting things. Thank you all for your help! This should save me some time.

Glad you are sorted out. :)

Grip Stretching with a HOT GRIP is fine for a single selection, should you want to use it.