Can't snap to thick polylines to calculate area

tom111

Dear all,

Happy New Year

Please can you advise how I can calculate room areas accurately. I can't snap to the internal faces of the thick polylines. Does anyone have a solution to this?

I attach a snippet of the rooms.

Thanks

0d2r.jpg

tom111 area example.dwg

Math-solution: Calculate area based on the OSnap-points that you do have - remove the area of the walls. or half the area of the walls if you need the rooms.

CAD-solution: un-thicken the lines, do a offset on them (300 to each side for the thick ones) to get lines on the outer edge of the polyline and then measure the area.

Bit of a sticky wicket there Tom.

As you have no doubt noticed that the only grips and osnaps you will find on a polyline are all at the center of it.

I don't do architectural, but you might want to consider creating some custom Multiline styles to represent

your typical wall thicknesses.

Multiline... I always forget that there are Multilines as well to use. that should give you the snappoints that you need fairly quickly. Put them on their own layer so you can easly get rid of them later.

Thanks everyone.

Multiline is something I've not used before. Is this available in LT?

Nothing happens when I change the polyline line thickness.

vq85.jpg

If I explode the polyline then it reduces the line thickness, and I can do things with it then.

Thanks everyone.

Multiline is something I've not used before. Is this available in LT?

Nothing happens when I change the polyline line thickness.

If I explode the polyline then it reduces the line thickness, and I can do things with it then.

You should be able to change thickness of the polyline in PROPERTIES, or as shown in QUICK PROPERTIES.

Lineweight settings are different than Polyline widths.

I have never used LT, but should expect that you would have MULTILINE capability.

polyline global width change.jpg

I'm also not an architectural guy, but I don't think it's common practice to use a wide polyline in the center of the wall. My observation is that lines, polylines, or multilines are drawn to represent wall edges.

Also just wanted to point out that Lineweight and Linewidth are different properties.

Lineweight vs linewidth.gif

Should you want to explore Multilines, you can call the MLSTYLE command which will get you the dialog box to select or create a new style.

I created 2, one for a 150mm wall and one for a 600mm wall. There are lots of cool options.

You select NEW, and start from STANDARD style, after which you can set justification, distances between them, linetypes, filled or not.

Once you have created one, you just drag it around, you can see that I have created 2 rather random walls by just defining the points.

A great tool which is probably under utilized. Multiline styles can have a bunch of elements (is it 7?) in each one, with mixed linetypes and colors.

Sort of like a 2D version of the POLYSOLID command, which is good for drawing 3D walls.

create and use a multiline style.jpg

Doesn't AutoCAD LT use the DLine command and not MLine or did AutoDesk swap out DLine?

Addendum:

Just confirmed that the MLine command is unavailable in AutoCAD LT 2009. Source: CADpanacea - AutoCAD 2009 vs. AutoCAD LT 2009.

Use DLine instead.

Dline is a command. I'll use this :)

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it works out for you. The information may be of use to others. Thanks.

Ever read Michael Beall's monthly feature column (Michael's Corner)? He has mentioned DLine numerous times and at one time even posted a link to where it could be downloaded. I think he favored it over MLine if I am not mistaken. I probably have a copy of it somewhere around here (note to self: clean desktop for 2014). If I find it do you want me to upload a copy?

Ever read Michael Beall's monthly feature column (Michael's Corner)? He has mentioned DLine numerous times and at one time even posted a link to where it could be downloaded. I think he favored it over MLine if I am not mistaken. I probably have a copy of it somewhere around here (note to self: clean desktop for 2014). If I find it do you want me to upload a copy?

I usually read Michael's Corner, lots of good stuff. :beer:

Here is that download link, thanks for the tip.

http://cadtrainerguy.com/how-i-work/downloads-for-autocad/

Thanks Dadgad but as it turned out I had a copy of DLine on my flash drive that I never copied over to my hard drive (now taken care of). Other forum members may find the link of benefit however.