from solid works and Proe to Autocad electrical 2007 !!

ryuken-d

Hi everybody I'm having some issue's, Hopefully I'm missing something obvious but I cant for the life of me figure out how to "cut" a shape into some thing I've modeled or create a datem plane to use for reference or even make an axis. Is it because my version of autocad doesnt have these features?

thank you to any and all who reply.

What does this have to do with SolidWorks or Pro/E?

Are you using Electrical as vanilla or as Electrical?

Are you in a 3D Workspace?

Electrical is built on top of vanilla, so you do have the solids features - but it sounds to me like zero experience with AutoCAD. Is that the case?

What does this have to do with SolidWorks or Pro/E?

Are you using Electrical as vanilla or as Electrical?

Are you in a 3D Workspace?

Electrical is built on top of vanilla, so you do have the solids features - but it sounds to me like zero experience with AutoCAD. Is that the case?

you called it I have zero experience with autocad and its been a few years since I've used solid works and proE.

I have 2007 electrical version of autoCad (the only option i could find on base)and yes I'm using the 3d modeling features but my version doesnt have a default 3d workspace option.

I final moved my toolbars around and I'm trying to make a 3d model of one of my camera mounts for a detail spec sheet/2d drawing and I was hoping my trouble was my ignorance of the autocad "language". thank you for the reply

sorry to answer your questions more to the point: I'm using eletrical for vanilla, I'm in a 3d workspace and I only mention the other 3d cad programs so that you know I have some 3d modeling experience.

.... I only mention the other 3d cad programs so that you know I have some 3d modeling experience.

Ouch! You are going to have a hard time going from those to AutoCAD.

See if you can start AutoCAD as vanilla rather than Electrical.

Go to Windows Start>Autodesk>Autodesk AutoCAD Electrical>Run as AutoCAD.

I am going to assume that wasn't an option with v2007, if it isn't, post back and I (or someone) will post more indepth instructions on how to create a desktop icon to run Electrical as vanilla AutoCAD. (come to think of it - I don't think they called it Workspaces back in r2007)

You'll have to learn some new terminology when it comes to AutoCAD. You'll also have to adjust to the lack of certain features given you are running AutoCAD 2007 versus the most current version AutoCAD 2014.

You'll have to learn some new terminology when it comes to AutoCAD. You'll also have to adjust to the lack of certain features given you are running AutoCAD 2007 versus the most current version AutoCAD 2014.

agreed. for 2D 2007 would be fine. 3D has been greatly improved since 2007 with a lot of useful features.

Well you still have Extrude, Loft, Polysolid and PressPull in 2007. Many of the solids editing commands are present. May have to put a little more effort into creating 3D models but it's not like it is a total dud. There are two workspaces: 3D Modeling and AutoCAD Classic. There's no Ribbon of course so it's drop-down menus and toolbars but once one gets everything set up the way they want it's just a matter of saving it as a new workspace.

ryuken-d: Once you have created the 3D model of your camera mount you can extract the 2D views in a handful of different ways. Your options are:

1. Flatshot

2. SolProf

3. SolView/SolDraw

4. SectionPlane

I would recommend that you first read up on the four options to learn how each command works then run a test using a simple 3D model. You'll learn the pros and cons of each method and hopefully gain some insight into which one works best for your situation.

yes... thank you, thats the plan. also I was affraid of that. Great help and ideas. I'm all over the place this morning. I'll put some leg work into this and stick to it.

Glad I found this site, I have been looking for any reason to 3d model ever since I got this job and it finally reared its head.

yes... thank you, thats the plan. also I was affraid of that. Great help and ideas. I'm all over the place this morning. I'll put some leg work into this and stick to it.

Glad I found this site, I have been looking for any reason to 3d model ever since I got this job and it finally reared its head.

a lad at work is self-learning AutoCAD. He's doing really well & i'm impressed but he won't do 3D.

Most days he calls me for some advice. Yesterday he'd spent most of the day doing 3 2D views of a part he wants making (plan, front & side elevations - 3 seperate drawings). He sent me the drawing which looked good but it still took me ages to visualise what the part would look like. A glance at an ISO view would show this but i'm sure it would take another day (at least) for him to draw that.

If he'd done a 3D model i expect he'd have all the views he wanted in less than 1/2 a day.

I find just drawing the whole model in 3D is usually quicker than 1 2D view. Draw it once, it's done, there it is, what more do you want?...

Example:

Duct part. Rectangular to round transition......

I would have to think for a sec how to best do a 2D drawing, but 3D would be:

Circle

Circle

Rectangle

Rectangle

Loft

Shell

that's it.

if i wanted to show-off when i send the drawing i might add a shiny material, so maybe 2 or 3 more clicks.

Pretty quick.

exactly, and the tools to make a 2d drawing out of a 3d model is just a few steps away. since I'm having trouble with autocad I was thinking I might have to go the 2d route but lucky for me I have some time to work it out. I've been working in the yard a lot lately, cant believe I'm actually itching for some more down time.