Replacing a block

AQucsaiJr

My situation is; I have a drawing that has block XYZ, with attributes, that has been populated with values and I just realized that I placed the incorrect block into the drawing originally. Block XYZ looks very similar to the block that needs to be there, lets name it ABC, but is not the same and needs to be replaced by block ABC. There are 40 lines of attribute text and the tag names between the two blocks for thoughs attributes are the same; as in line 1 text of block XZY is the same tag name as line 1 text in block ABC. It is the overall look of the block that needs to change. My question is, does anyone know how to, or if there is a way to, replace block XYZ with block ABC without having to re-enter all the information allready entered into block XYZ? I do not have the luxsury of just editing the block in that drawing because of the standards my company has with there blocks.

If you modify the block within your dwg it will affect only that dwg. Is that a problem with company standards?

If so then block replace is in the Express menu.

if the attribute tag names are identical I would rename the block to what you want it to be and then insert the correct block from your standard library. Accept the re definition and then attsync. Erase the one just inserted and everything will be OK. If you use design centre the procedure is slightly different but I don't use design centre.

If the attributes have different names your task is somewhat harder.

since we discussed this about a week ago you can also use the command line...

-INSERT XYZ=ABC

but this will leave XYZ in your drawing but with the same definition as ABC

I can not edit the block on one given drawing because of the way we use our blocks. If I modify the block within that drawing and anything is different between the two then I would be in some deep crap.

How do you re-name a block? We use design center because it seemed to be the most officiant way we could use the amount of block we have. But I don't have to use design center to insert blocks all the time. I have access to the files the blocks are located in.

How do you re-name a block? We use design center because it seemed to be the most officiant way we could use the amount of block we have. But I don't have to use design center to insert blocks all the time. I have access to the files the blocks are located in.
with RENAME :)

select Blocks and the block you need to rename then type in its new name.

I don't use design centre for a couple of reasons, chiefly because I have never needed to (but I do use palettes now). As I said above, if the tag names are matched you can use my method. I find it quite simple but others have taken a few goes to get it right so I would "saveas" "temp" before diving in with mouth open and both feet ready.

• 10 months later...
If the attributes have different names your task is somewhat harder.

How much harder?

I have a similar problem, but the attribute tags are not the same. I tried to make the existing attribute tags the same as my desired block, but when I attsync the block it reverts all attribute definitions to the default.

using 2010 full.