Are there "standard" colors?

ArdenHTF

The engineer that I used to work with was color blind, so some of the colors used for lines, dims, etc. looked the same to him, even though they were in fact different. He taught me to use:

Dims - Red

Guides/Construction lines - light blue

Object - black

Center lines - magenta

I was wondering if there are industry "standard" colors, or does it matter? I am working in a chemical manufacturing firm, and will be mostly drawing building modifications, tanks, piping, etc.

Thanks,

Arden

Depends on the plotstyle you are using.

Usually the standard is only within the office.

Look into Plotstyles.

Our office has a diffrent Plotstyle of each sheet (Drainage Irrigation, etc.) where the information that is most important (Drainage sheet-Drain lines...) is printed bold and the other information is screened.

Hope that helps.

Depends on the plotstyle you are using.

Usually the standard is only within the office.

Look into Plotstyles.

Our office has a diffrent Plotstyle of each sheet (Drainage Irrigation, etc.) where the information that is most important (Drainage sheet-Drain lines...) is printed bold and the other information is screened.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. It's kind of what I figured, but just wanted to check.

Arden

If you are a bit older like me then you will know about the colours that used to be on drafting ink pens most of the people we deal with use these colours as a defacto standard.

We have goverment organisations that put out standard spec's re colour and weight.

A quick answer Autocads standard 8 colours we start thin and get progressively thicker 0.18-1.0 easy way to remember.

Colors are "office" acceptable, what the majority wants in any given office (company).

I use the same colors all the time.

#23 for dims, center lines, text.

Yellow for piping, valves, etc.

Pumps, red.

#163 for tanks.

Magenta for steel; i.e.: cone bottom tank stands, Unistrut™ pipe supports, etc.

Green for FRP; i.e.: grating, ladders, FRP tanks, etc.

Been using the same "standard" colors for ten plus years but, only print in black 'n white. The colors only show in AutoCAD or, if I like, in *.pdf files generated within AutoCAD.

The only color I see as some standard, is when workin' in AutoCAD, black background in model space.

Arden:

You might like this free CD program for pipe 'n fittings.

https://shop.charlottepipe.com/lit/c...d=26&openid=26

A free CD in English or Spanish.

Take your pick, never a charge. Shipped via US Mail.

No one ever told a newbie to AutoCAD, "In addition to the program and PC, you're going to need a heavy duty book shelf. You'll also need internet access to visit cadtutor.net when you need some qualified help." :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that's Gospel!

I sometimes download placards for my pipe 'n tanks from the www.

The little extra touch! I put the placards in the *.dwg file, looks great!

Corrosive.gif

astmlogo.gif

Oxidizer.GIF

Arden:

You might like this free CD program for pipe 'n fittings.

https://shop.charlottepipe.com/lit/c...d=26&openid=26

A free CD in English or Spanish.

Take your pick, never a charge. Shipped via US Mail.

No one ever told a newbie to AutoCAD, "In addition to the program and PC, you're going to need a heavy duty book shelf. You'll also need internet access to visit cadtutor.net when you need some qualified help." :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that's Gospel!

I sometimes download placards for my pipe 'n tanks from the www.

The little extra touch! I put the placards in the *.dwg file, looks great!

Wow! Thanks Tankman. I already have several sets of "PartSpec" CD's -though I just did a online search and see that they are available on the Net, too. I will follow the link and order a set for piping & valves.

I second the part about needing a heavy duty bookshelf!!:D

Would like to know about the "defacto standard" of the black background in model space. As I wrote before, the engineer I worked with was color blind, so he used a white background, and that's what I've gotten used to. I could certainly become comfortable with black, but wonder if it really makes any difference, other than to the user?

Thanks to all for freely sharing your years of knowledge & experience!

Arden

Using a black background in model space was new to me years ago.

After some tech school training, switched to black background and I fine most users do so. Easier on the eyes.

This should be a poll, black or white background in model space?

I think black will lead the poll by a very large margin.