Block w/attributes not working

rjaywilson

I am trying to standardize our drawings and symbols. There are some blocks I would like to use because of their attributes, but they are older, and I can't locate them on our network of drawings. I tried making new blocks out of the ones in the drawing, but when I try to edit them it won't let me change the text height and it has a font name I have never heard of. How can these even be showing? It isn't asking me to substitute fonts. But I digress...the problem is when I bedit it won't show me the attribute, and when I insert it into a drawing it doesn't prompt for attribute info. When I explode it, the text disappears. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something glaringly obvious?

it is possible (we had it here recently) that the block you have found has already been edited in the drawing but not properly synced afterwards. This can leave "old" copies of the block in the drawing AND new versions. It is possible to have a block with attribute in the drawing but not as an insertable object. Other than trawling through all your drawings looking for the correct definition or starting from scratch there's not a lot you can do.

As above, can you post it.

OK, suspisions confirmed.

You have an old block with attributes that has been redefined. That block has at some time been redefined without attributes but the old block wasn't updated. You only have the block without attributes defined within the drawing although you do still have an active example of the old one.

I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do other than redefine each block one at a time. It *may* be possible to extract the old definition using LISP but I wouldn't know where to start.

• 2 weeks later...