Text style problems

Hi everyone,

Fairly new to Autocad and having a few problems with text styles.

I'm currently modifying existing ACAD drawings that have numerical text (using 'dt' command) for line dimensions (dimensioning not appropriate in the circumstances).

Now if I make additions to the drawing and insert accopmpanying text I can't make it look the same as the existing text!! The properties for the new text are the same as that of the old text (have checked by view properties, have also done a 'matchprop' command), but regardless, the new text doesnt look like the old stuff.

Specifically, the existing text appears bolder than the new text.

Interestingly enough, if I move a sample of the old text around a bit, it will sometimes decide to look like the new text... weird...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hello Paddles

I dont know what is causing this but, 1st type "redraw" or "regen" onto the command line and hit enter this maybe just a clinch and might sort the problem out.

are all the text on the same layer? if the above didnt work, try re-typing the new text using the old/existing text style.

will have a further think if this doesnt help

let me know how it goes :)

I'd guess its MTEXT? Correct? If so, you need to open the MTEXT editor and amend the properties within that window.

Or you may be able to find a routine to do this for you...

Or I may be mad.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's much appreciated!

cadmantom - tried a 'regen' and nothing changed. All text is on the same layer and text properties such as colour etc. are 'by layer'.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by "try re-typing the new text using the old/existing text style" - If I copy and paste the old text and edit, it looks like the old text. Is that what you mean?

wannabe - I'm using the 'dt' (dynamic text?) command for inputting the new text. When you edit mtext, a properties toolbar should pop up shouldn't it? With stuff like justification, font, size etc.? That isn't happening so I'm guessing old text is 'dt' also?

ReMark - When I plot the drawings, the old and new texts look different. Similar to how they appear on screen - old text is slightly 'bolder' (for lack of a better term)

Would a screenshot of the different text appearances help at all?

Apologies if my terminology is painful to read and descriptions vague, I'm pretty much self-teaching myself autocad as I go! Ahh the joy!

Sorry, don't know what truetype fonts or shx fonts are! The font is 'arial narrow' if that answers your question?

Attached a pic showing the two different texts, and another showing the properties when both texts are selected.

Thanks again :)

ps. It's a bit difficult to see the difference in this image - see how the 'degrees' symbol in the old text appears much thicker?...

acad1.jpg

acad2.jpg

Arial Narrow is a Truetype font and comes as a standard part of your Windows operating system. The file type is .ttf as opposed to .shx which is the file type of an AutoCAD font.

Personally I find the differences to be so slight as to be negligible. Of course, you disagree with that, hence your question.

Are you saying that perhaps the old font is SHX and the new font is TTF?

How would I check this? Properties for both old and new text says 'arial narrow' is the style.

The difference between the two texts in the picture I posted looks marginal (when it went from screenshot to .jpg it pixelated and lost some emphasis!), but when you plot the drawings, the difference is nasty. It's literally as if the old text has been bolded or increased in width factor or something.

AutoCAD does not have a font called Arial Narrow.

Could you have two versions of the font name using two slightly different font styles? What is the origin of the drawing?

Why don't you substitute an AutoCAD font? Maybe something like romanc.shx or romant.shx?

Oh I see... If I select the text and enter 'text style manager' both texts have 'arial narrow' listed as the font name.

I'm working on lot allocations, and for some reason the drawings exist only partially completed. Can't really change fonts as it seems to be the company precedent.

Fiddling with the texts, I can't get them to look the same even if I change fonts anyway - the old text only changes form if I move it around a bit...