Remove autocad educational stamp from all dwg in the folder

samifox

• 2 weeks later...

Autodesk tried to be fair with students but at the same time harm the whole industry by what i called "educational stamp malware”

its good trueview becomes antiviruse :)

The only harm to industry was mostly to those companies that were illegally using an educational version of the program for commercial gain. They got what they deserved.

.. Does anyone see an ethical issue with removing the stamp?

Yes this would be unethical to go around this w/o going through Autodesk or otherwise approved provider. The company dropped the ball. Dont let employees (student or otherwise) use inappropriate software. Acting as if this didn't happen is acting as though the company is of a quality which it isn't. Put polcies in place to stop this and if they are in place let the student go.. this is a lesson they need to learn as well. Crow-baring your way around this i'm sure would also violate contractual agreements with the licensing of your software. i.e. that would be an additional unethical action.

This is not to say you cant find a right way around it or that this was not a legitimate unintentional mistake, but it is a mistake and you dont solve one mistake buy making another. There is no reason to go below the radar if a mistake is legitimate...

Here's a situation where it may be ethical for removing the plot stamp from a drawing modified with an educational version. We have practicum students who work in our office and produce work that is incorporated into our commercial drawings. (This is an old practice and 30 years ago I created drawings by hand that were used commercially by the firm in which I was a practicum student.) In a recent situation, we asked a practicum student to do some work on a drawing originally produced on a licensed version of AutoCAD. We let her use a laptop with an installed licensed version of AutoCAD. We didn't realize at the time that she preferred to use her own laptop with an educational version installed on it and instantly "contaminated" our drawing. Now a year after she left the firm, we've re-opened the drawing to resume working on the project and find that it now has an embedded plot stamp. Does anyone see an ethical issue with removing the stamp?
Ethically, no you're not doing anything "morally wrong" if all of the above is true. Legally, however, would be another issue. Ethics and legalities don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Autodesk simply complicated this issue which makes everyone question the moral disposition. I never agree with preventative offense in this manner, where it could cripple a project simply because of a quick double-click on the wrong icon.

As noted above, your reseller should be able to assist in this matter. Pass it along to them.

birdbreath, the reviver of this thread was just asking if it would be ethical in their case, not how to remove the stamp.

Really, must have missed that part.

Anyway, I was offering a quick solution. Yes the damage was done and hopefully corrected so it doesn't happen again. It's not like they were condoning the action. As David says this is an AutoCAD forum not an AutoDesk forum.

As stated years ago I had to deal with this from a contractor from outside the US and absolutely no way make them (the contractor) fix it. When I informed the principles at the company I worked for about it they all but laughed me out the door about it.

Once again, fix it and make sure you don't mess up again. Pretty simple :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/18/2014 at 9:23 AM, nestly said:

Using EDU produced drawings for commercial purposes is a violation of the software license. You'll get no help from me especially in light of the fact that it's apparently a deliberate act, not the result of a careless mistake.

You are completely unhetical. I can receive a drawing and open it in my commercial license. Then do a copy/paste. Then my drawing is ninfected. The damage I have is not for my bad behaviour but I have a damage.

For years Autodesk removed the alert on educational infected files so I have no clue if a chair or a sofa I downloaded from a website was infected and infected my drawings. This is what happens to me and I always had a non studen version! Now I open old drawings and I find they are infected.

It's really a unhethical behaviour to make virus go around and Autodesk is really bad on this!

So stop sayng bullshits and help us to remove that problem DXFing is not a solution because for some drawings some named views and advanced rendering settings are lost

On 2/18/2016 at 5:36 PM, tzframpton said:

Ethically, no you're not doing anything "morally wrong" if all of the above is true. Legally, however, would be another issue. Ethics and legalities don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Autodesk simply complicated this issue which makes everyone question the moral disposition. I never agree with preventative offense in this manner, where it could cripple a project simply because of a quick double-click on the wrong icon.

As noted above, your reseller should be able to assist in this matter. Pass it along to them.

There is no moral issue on having your drawing infected from dwg downloaded from internet or by someone who does not use the right license. In fact there is not a legal issue too, because you are not responsible if you use autodesk collaborative features they sold with the software and someone else did a mistake. Legally you cannot be charged for crimes of other people, anyway.
For sure if I ask autodesk to pay my damage on having my drawing infected , they have to pay, be sure! They are luck because nobody seems to take seriously the right of the customers.

On 2/18/2016 at 5:16 PM, TheCADnoob said:

Yes this would be unethical to go around this w/o going through Autodesk or otherwise approved provider. The company dropped the ball. Dont let employees (student or otherwise) use inappropriate software. Acting as if this didn't happen is acting as though the company is of a quality which it isn't. Put polcies in place to stop this and if they are in place let the student go.. this is a lesson they need to learn as well. Crow-baring your way around this i'm sure would also violate contractual agreements with the licensing of your software. i.e. that would be an additional unethical action.

This is not to say you cant find a right way around it or that this was not a legitimate unintentional mistake, but it is a mistake and you dont solve one mistake buy making another. There is no reason to go below the radar if a mistake is legitimate...

Right. He should send the drawings to autodesk and ask them to repair or pay the damage. This should be a ethical behaviour, as opposite to Autodesk's one.,

On 6/19/2014 at 3:40 PM, nestly said:

Same thing... You're asking for a way to "crack" the EDU plotstamp, which is an anti-piracy device intended to prevent free EDU software from being used for commercial purposes.

Your attempt to justify your actions based on the changed behavior is not valid because the 2015 license(s) still prohibit the use of EDU produced content in commercial drawings.... which is exactly what you're doing, (and what you're trying to get us to be complicit in.)

He did not use the edu license. Somebody else did. How can I know if a dwonloaded file (for example from a furniture customer) is infected with EDU stamp? Autodesk removed also the alert. Now I have old drawings I need to edit and reuse and I discovered they are all infected. Maybe I downloaded a sofa or a table from internet in the past time. I have a damage and it is ethically really bad that autodesk spreaed viruses around in people's drawings without any alert. I cannot be charged if I used collaborative instruments autodesk sold me, like the ability of using free drawings from Internet (opening them did not raise any alert for many versions).

On 6/18/2014 at 7:36 AM, samifox said:

Hi

We receive too many dwg with the Remove autocad educational stamp, we use lots of tricks to get ride of this, but its time consuming.

Is there any too to batch Remove autocad educational stamp from all dwg in the folder?

Thanks

Shay

You cannot remove EDU stamp, from the file. But you can legally workaround this non ethical autodesk behaviour (spreading viruses around in your drawings I think is really bad since you payed the license). Simply export your drawing as a DXF and then reimport the new legal DXF file you created with Open command

Edited by chair

On 2/18/2016 at 2:55 PM, ReMark said:

The only harm to industry was mostly to those companies that were illegally using an educational version of the program for commercial gain. They got what they deserved.

Are you joking? Seems like you did not understand that this stamp came even with copy/paste or insert blobk. So If you download a drawing from a customer you are responsible for the customer? Let you think before telling those silly things!

No I wasn't joking.  If you are a company using outside sources to produce content then it is your responsibility to ensure that such content was produced legally otherwise don't work with them or for them.  It's called corporate responsibility which seems to be lacking in this day and age.

It is not unethical to protect one's intellectual property rights unless you live in China or Russia.

There are a couple of ways to remove the EDU stamp from a drawing but I am not going to tell you how to do it but the information is out there for anyone with the time, patience and need to find it.

Why did you feel the need to resurrect a thread from 2016?  If you want to vent then send a letter of complaint to AutoDesk.  But don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1