Default path for "Open"

michellesjustice1

I've looked thru the forums to see if this has already been answered, so plz forgive me if it's redundant...

Is there a way in autocad 2000 to set a default path in the dialog box when you click the open button? I use one particular folder (with sub-folders in it) on a different drive and hate having to click 4 or 5 times every time I open a file to get to that folder.

Thanks for your help! This site is very useful so thanks to all who contribute!

Michelle

I don't know if this is the answer but try and change your Rememberfolders setting

from Sysvdlg

Controls the path that is used for Look In or Save In as the default.

0 Uses the Start In value of the shortcut icon on the desktop. This setting is used to restore the behavior of AutoCAD 2000 and previous releases.

1 Uses the last path that was called up from each particular dialog box. The Start In value is ignored for AutoCAD 2000i and later after the session has been started and changes have been made under each dialog box. The values are only held while the session is active.

You might need to edit your 'Start in' folder on you desktop icon.

Thank you to both of you! I don't know what eitherof you are talking about though... :D If you could break it down kindergarten style, that would be fantastic...

Thanks again!:D

In AutoCAD 2000 is there a Tools drop-down menu at the top of your screen? If so, click on it. In the drop-down menu is there an entry called Options? If so, click on it. The OPTIONS dialog window should appear with a series of tabs across the top. If you're lucky the default tab that appears will be named FILES. If not, click on that tab. FILES allows the user to view the defined Search paths, file names and file locations. Click on the sign to the left of the words Support File Search Path (should be at the very top). AutoCAD will have already defined some of the search paths for you. As the user AutoCAD allows you to "define" or "add" other search paths.

With me so far Michelle?

If you look down the list main list you should also see an entry for Project Files Search Path. By clicking on the sign to the left of the heading you can also expand it as well. My guess is that there will be nothing listed.

On second thought why don't you try lpseifert's suggestion first. Type the word REMEMBERFOLDERS on the command line then press Enter. What is the current setting?

Maybe that variable came later.

Quit out of AutoCAD.

Here's a new option. We are going to attempt to start AutoCAD in the folder that contains all the subfolders you use most often.

Do you have an icon for AutoCAD 2000 on your desktop? If so, right-click on it and select Properties. A window should appear that has the heading AutoCAD 2000 Properties. It should also open on the Shortcut tab. Good so far?

Look down the Shortcut tab and find where it says Start in. Found it? Good. Are you comfortable with changing the path indicated between the quotation marks? Do you know the exact path to the main folder you referred to above? It might be something like:

"C:\Project Drawings\Project 2008-1"

That's the location you want to start AutoCAD from. Whatever path is currently showing write it down just in case what we do here does not work the way you expect it to.

Once you have indicate the new path click on the OK button at the bottom of the window. Restart AutoCAD. Did it work?