Printing a "big" drawing on a "small" printer - Poster Printing and Autocad...

xelaris

The concept of "poster printing" (as described in my Canon printer user manual) is simple...if you need to print a big drawing (say a sheet 1m x 0.7m) and the maximum paper allowed is only 0.2m x 0.3m you just need to specify a "poster printing" setting where multiple sheets are printed separately and then attached together manually (like a mosaic) to obtain the bigger sheet required.

Now, how is it that I can't find a neat solution in Autocad to cover this basic functionality offered by many domestic printers? (a bit of snobbery perhaps? poster printing not professional enough to be considered?)

I come across this problem before and I remember having to resort to printing a normal A4 paper from Autocad and then scaling it using an image editor - it worked....but still, I'd like to set the paper sizes (any sizes I want) from Autocad - but this setting is limited by the maximum paper size allowed by my Canon - i.e. Autocad doesn't recognize "poster printing".

I've used Autocad in the past and I'm getting familiar with some newer versions (I'm testing Acad2014) which seems to offer plenty of new functions....I hope there are ways to cover the issue I've presented.

Have I missed something? Is Autocad "too serious" for Poster Printing?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xelaris

• Dana W

• maratovich

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure I would ever need a "one button solution" as it is pretty easy to set up a series of "plot window" commands, and if you have a lot to do could be easily scripted.

I'm not sure I would ever need a "one button solution" as it is pretty easy to set up a series of "plot window" commands, and if you have a lot to do could be easily scripted.

"easily scripted"....that means one has to get to the "basics" of Autolips while being stuck with the basic functions of Autocad? - thanks a lot...(I hope this isn't like certain linux forums...).

I get the other "solution" - it means one has to issue the printing command 16 times?! (as I need to join 4sheet by 4 sheets) clever!!

OK I got it....Autocad doesn't deal with Poster Printing....got to do it the old way - scale the A4 paper using Gimp or similar....

If your printer already offers poster print functionality then I would suggest saving the drawing to PDF at full scale then printing with the poster function from the PDF.

"easily scripted"....that means one has to get to the "basics" of Autolips while being stuck with the basic functions of Autocad? - thanks a lot...(I hope this isn't like certain linux forums...).

I get the other "solution" - it means one has to issue the printing command 16 times?! (as I need to join 4sheet by 4 sheets) clever!!

OK I got it....Autocad doesn't deal with Poster Printing....got to do it the old way - scale the A4 paper using Gimp or similar....

scripting has nothing to do with AutoLISP, in fact there is a button to do it for you but never mind. You are probably right, best to do it the old way.

scripting has nothing to do with AutoLISP, in fact there is a button to do it for you but never mind. You are probably right, best to do it the old way.

that's not even an "old" way....more of an awkward compromise really.

Thanks for your suggestion and apologies if I sounded a bit rude in my previous reply - nothing personal...I was just annoyed about this "void" in Autocad functionality (while it seems to offer everything else).

If your printer already offers poster print functionality then I would suggest saving the drawing to PDF at full scale then printing with the poster function from the PDF.

this one seems quite useful actually....let's see if it's possible to print this big image directly from Autocad (no need to open Gimp or similar).

xelaris

You can all be done automatically using a special program.

The program itself splits large posters and prints on A4 or A3.

Video:

Link to the program:

http://www.kdm-info.narod.ru/skleyka_eng.html

http://www.kdm-info.narod.ru/skleyka.html

Thanks for the links...

This seems exactly what was needed....except that it should be incorporated in Autocad from the word go - as I've mentioned already - I gave up and resorted to using barbaric but effective methods...so problem solved (somehow).

For the asking price I might be tempted (is that right? 3 dollars?)...but I'm an occasional user and all the fuss of downloading and testing it on Autocad (I'm assuming the program is still in beta/alpha state?) isn't justified - not in my case anyhow....but I'll keep this in mind for the next occasion.

Apparently you have missed the availability of the Properties >> Custom Properties buttons in your page setup/plot dialog window.

Look what happens (PNG attached below) when I click on them while having my bargain basement $139.00 Dell V725 printer (letter/legal only) hooked up as my plotter. You may have to save as... and zoom to see the dialog details.

Straight from AutoCad 2009 LT with no monkey business right to a poster. I have not selected the proper poster size or layout orientation yet. I can also opt for crop (registration) marks or overlap distance.

If you can't do this it is a failing of your printer, or lack of experience, not AutoCad.

Let's see, I think a 24" x 36" landscape will probably require 3x4 sheets of letter size paper.

Methinks there has been a tempest in a teapot.

Speaking of tempests TS Arthur is raining on me. He's no biggie, but the last time a "No Biggie" went through Chuluota, she was named Tropical Storm Sandy.

How can they build a Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier and sell it so cheap you ask? By charging $13.00 per really small separate color ink cartridges, And by not building the scanner to work, that's how.

Yes, that is the clock face at Kings Cross Station, at Diagon Alley.

Print options.jpg

Edited by Dana W

For the asking price I might be tempted (is that right? 3 dollars?)...

Yes 3 dollars (approximately at the rate of RUB 100) - 1 Year License.

but I'm an occasional user and all the fuss of downloading and testing it on Autocad (I'm assuming the program is still in beta/alpha state?) isn't justified - not in my case anyhow....but I'll keep this in mind for the next occasion.

The program is in the final version.

version 4.0 release 14.03.2014

https://www.kdmsoft.net/skleyka.html

Edited by maratovich

Apparently you have missed the availability of the Properties >> Custom Properties buttons in your page setup/plot dialog window.

Look what happens (PNG attached below) when I click on them while having my bargain basement $139.00 Dell V725 printer (letter/legal only) hooked up as my plotter. You may have to save as... and zoom to see the dialog details.

Straight from AutoCad 2009 LT with no monkey business right to a poster. I have not selected the proper poster size or layout orientation yet. I can also opt for crop (registration) marks or overlap distance.

If you can't do this it is a failing of your printer, or lack of experience, not AutoCad.

Let's see, I think a 24" x 36" landscape will probably require 3x4 sheets of letter size paper.

Methinks there has been a tempest in a teapot.

Speaking of tempests TS Arthur is raining on me. He's no biggie, but the last time a "No Biggie" went through Chuluota, she was named Tropical Storm Sandy.

How can they build a Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier and sell it so cheap you ask? By charging $13.00 per really small separate color ink cartridges, And by not building the scanner to work, that's how.

Yes, that is the clock face at Kings Cross Station, at Diagon Alley.

You are just spot on!

I blame myself for being too lazy (internet and forums makes all a bit lazier nowadays isn't it?) - there is more than simply entering "poster printing" in the help search and pretending to find the right answer in one go.

I've learned Autocad the old way - typing commands via keyboard - and happy with creative editing in 3D but plotting/printing has always been my achilles' heel - it was complex then (BI&BW = Before Internet and Before Windows)....now, it's scary.:shock:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction....o:)

You are just spot on!

I blame myself for being too lazy (internet and forums makes all a bit lazier nowadays isn't it?) - there is more than simply entering "poster printing" in the help search and pretending to find the right answer in one go.

I've learned Autocad the old way - typing commands via keyboard - and happy with creative editing in 3D but plotting/printing has always been my achilles' heel - it was complex then (BI&BW = Before Internet and Before Windows)....now, it's scary.:shock:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction....o:)

Glad we could help. I am not surprised so many other people have missed this too. After all AutoCad is first and foremost an engineering and design software that is geared mostly to large format printers. The big stuff is right up front where it is almost automatic to use that way. It is usually the small timers like me, who have been forced to deal with letter sized printers because the large format ones cost more than my car. Normally, I supply clients with pdf's, not even printed, but occasionally I need to make a poster for a full sized page in order to check the final output or to make a redline for myself.

I actually tried to do just that, but I guess the printer I chose doesn't have poster capabilities or I missed it.

I actually tried to do just that, but I guess the printer I chose doesn't have poster capabilities or I missed it.
Yeah, not all of the home type printers are capable of this. I guess that, and the limited need for it cause it to be one of those unknown functions.

And Arthur is still raining on me.

This is a quick update to my recent finding from some of the suggestions offered in this thread...

Unfortunately the suggestion coming from Dana doesn't work in my case - let's bear in mind that it might still be the case of me not being experienced enough with the plotting/printing features of Autocad....but when entering the Custom Settings one is allowed to enter any paper size (even bigger than the maximum allowed by the printer) e.g. if one sets the printer to "none" or one of those virtual printers which output a PDF (file not actual paper)...in such cases, yes, the options seems all there...but then when I select my printer for printing (a Canon MP610) then I get an error message saying I'm not allowed to use that paper size?! (that's because Autocad doesn't know my Canon can print in Poster Mode)....so, I have to resort to save in some other file formats (e.g. PDF) and then opening another application which can communicate better with my Canon e.g. ignore paper limitations - just send the bxxxxy file to that fxxxxxg printer!!!:reallymad:

I was a bit suspicious that our friend in Russia has to come up with a separate plug-in to address this very annoying issue....some users are maybe luckier than other and use a printer which is fully recognized by Autocad - mine isn't (apparently).

This is a quick update to my recent finding from some of the suggestions offered in this thread...

Unfortunately the suggestion coming from Dana doesn't work in my case - let's bear in mind that it might still be the case of me not being experienced enough with the plotting/printing features of Autocad....but when entering the Custom Settings one is allowed to enter any paper size (even bigger than the maximum allowed by the printer) e.g. if one sets the printer to "none" or one of those virtual printers which output a PDF (file not actual paper)...in such cases, yes, the options seems all there...but then when I select my printer for printing (a Canon MP610) then I get an error message saying I'm not allowed to use that paper size?! (that's because Autocad doesn't know my Canon can print in Poster Mode)....so, I have to resort to save in some other file formats (e.g. PDF) and then opening another application which can communicate better with my Canon e.g. ignore paper limitations - just send the bxxxxy file to that fxxxxxg printer!!!:reallymad:

I was a bit suspicious that our friend in Russia has to come up with a separate plug-in to address this very annoying issue....some users are maybe luckier than other and use a printer which is fully recognized by Autocad - mine isn't (apparently).

Does it work for the 8 1/2" x 11" paper? That is the only way I can get mine to work from AutoCad. How about a driver update for the printer. Might work, if there is one available.

At least Arthur hasn't done a lot of damage like Sandy did.