Create Views by Pipe Systems

hoss

Hi,

I have started playing more and more with revit and getting to know a little bit about the program. At the moment i am concentrating on MEP, mainly piping

As a practice I have started drawing some pipes at different levels on different pipe systems.

I have gone to the Families, expanded pipes and duplicated pipe types and renames as I wanted , for example Steam Supply ...

Now, my question is, can I turn these systems on/off on different views

Lets say on one view I want to be able to see, just Gas pipes, how do I change the visibility of other pipe systems, like Steam supply

I looked in View Visibility / Graphics and couldn't find anything :oops:

Thanks for your help in advance

The most common and straight forward way is to use Filters. Open V/G and go to the Filters tab. Create a Filter and name it accordingly and select all categories that are related (Pipes, Pipe Fittings, etc) and use the available criteria to contain or not contain the system you want/don't want.

You can also use Worksets, however it's better to use Worksets for a more collective use. For instance, you'd have an individual Workset for the DWV piping, Chilled Water piping, Underground and Sanitary piping, MedGas Piping, etc.

And just to note: duplicating and renaming Pipe Systems isn't always the best way to do it. The reason being is Piping Systems and Pipe Types are directly connected to the "System Classifications" defined in MEP Settings > Pipe Settings > Conversion > System Classifications. The problem is, you may run a ton of piping only to realize you've done so with the wrong classification, and there's not easy button to change it. Just FYI is all.

Hope this helps. :)

I use the filters in the Visibility/Graphic Overrides function. You can set up a filter for almost anything you can imagine, and then use the visibility check box to turn them on/off in particular views. As you develop these, you can use them in view templates.

visgraphoverride.jpg

And just to note: duplicating and renaming Pipe Systems isn't always the best way to do it. The reason being is Piping Systems and Pipe Types are directly connected to the "System Classifications" defined in MEP Settings > Pipe Settings > Conversion > System Classifications. The problem is, you may run a ton of piping only to realize you've done so with the wrong classification, and there's not easy button to change it. Just FYI is all.

Hope this helps. :)

^+1 This is very frustrating if you don't pay attention to the systems when inserting piping.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help

I am interested to know, how would you do this, if "duplicating and renaming Pipe Systems isn't always the best way to do it".

These are the sort of things you won't find in books or help files. :(

Thanks for your help again

First off, there are different "types" of Families. Three to be exact, Loadable Families, System Families and In-Place Families. Piping Systems are what's considered a "System Family" which, like Walls, Floors, Railings etc, are "built into Revit" and cannot be deleted. Loadable Families are Families that you literally load into a Revit project, and if none for that category exists in the Project then the Family Category will not even show up under the Families list in the Project Browser.

Here's an exercise for you: Go to the Application Button > New > Project. On the Template file drop down, choose , click OK and choose which unit of measurement you want the project to be when prompted (imperial or metric). This is the equivalent to "acad.dwt", the bare bones stripped down file that contains nothing but the absolute minimum. Now expand Piping Systems under the Families list in Project Browser. You will see all the fundamental System's already generated for you clean slate. I went through this trouble just so you can understand that there's not a "New > Pipe System" button, and Duplicating is the way to do it. However, I wanted you to understand that these System Classifications are "ex nihilo" items that are eternally ingrained into the Revit platform.

So the only thing you need to do is take the time to see what classification the Piping System you're Duplicating is labeled as. Believe me, some people get it wrong and it boggles my mind. You'll see a Sanitary Piping System that was created from a DCW system and it is nothing less than irritating. Here's an example screen shot when you right-click and Edit Type and browse through each System that exists:

sys_class_info.png

Hope this helps. 8)

-Tannar

*EDIT*

Forgot to mention that I did say "duplicating and renaming Pipe Systems isn't always the best way to do it" and that is in fact "how" you do it. What I should have said was "be careful in duplicating and renaming Pipe Systems...." because of the inherent System Classification tied to it. That was very confusing!! My apologies in advance for that.

:)

Edited by tzframpton

WOW, this is the best in depth explanation i could have asked for.

I totally understand the point you are trying to make, and very grateful for your time and effort to help.

Thanks again

Glad to help Hoss. I try and go back to the things I had trouble with understanding and answer from that approach, which gives much clearer foresight.

Just remember that Revit is for people who understand the engineering and construction process for buildings. Revit takes an entirely different approach to everything and it takes a while to learn all the bits and pieces and finally put them all together. Until then keep asking questions, we're here to help.

:)