Random bits of my assembly disappearing!

xenological

I've been having the weirdest and most infuriating problem with AutoCAD MEP 2011 lately. I'm working on a large assembly featuring lots of pipes and machinery. However, sometimes certain pieces just won't display. They will be completely invisible, and I can't see them, or even select them, no matter what camera angle or view style I'm using. I know they aren't hidden/isolated because I use that function regularly. Then suddenly, sometime later, they'll just reappear again. The ones that disappear seem to be completely random. It's not like the same ones keep disappearing, at one point a few valves will disappear, but later they'll be back and some flanges will be missing. Right now, it happens to be the large central piece of machinery that I need to connect most of the pipes to. No matter what I try (even quitting and relaunching) it won't reappear. Is this a known issue? What could be causing it, and how do I fix it?