VISRETAIN..??? or something else???

smorales02

ok so here is the problem, and I have been trying to figure it out for hours now....I have a set of drawings that all have like 6 xrefs attached to them...There is one XREF in particular (a profile dwg) that keeps changing a dashed linetype to continous as soon as you open the drawing...

In detail, The Profile drawing has a "exist grade" line that has a linetype of "DASHED2"...so thats good...I open up my plan sheet that the profile is already xrefed in to and the line is suddenly a "HIDDEN2" linetype or "continous"... So I figure it must be VISRETAIN, so i change it to 0 reload my xref and BAM it shows up fine, Now I change VISRETAIN back to 1 do a save and close, than when i open up the drawing again, the linetype is messed up again...

So what gives??? Happens on all my sheets for this project....

Thank you

there isn't another step in the xrefs? LIke your Profile drawing is x-reffed into a drawing that is then x-reffed into your plan sheet?

is the linetype DASHED2 loaded in your plan sheet?

there isn't another step in the xrefs? LIke your Profile drawing is x-reffed into a drawing that is then x-reffed into your plan sheet?

is the linetype DASHED2 loaded in your plan sheet?

My profile drawing is xref directly into the plan sheets...There is also another profile drawing (1 for a water line and 1 for a sewer line) THat has the same "exist grade" with linetype and it works fine... The water line is the one giving me issues....

My profile drawing is xref directly into the plan sheets...There is also another profile drawing (1 for a water line and 1 for a sewer line) THat has the same "exist grade" with linetype and it works fine... The water line is the one giving me issues....

Perhaps the object scale factor isn't set appropriately for the water line? It may be possible that they scaled it differently to help give more definition to their drawing. I would suggest checking the object scale factor of the linetype for the water line.:unsure:

Instead of just reloading the xref, detach it, purge the drawing of all traces of it and reattach the profile.

I will try this, but my company uses a 3rd party software that attaches the proflie. (ASE Civil) So i am unsure how it will affect it.. Buts its worth a shot

After some digging around and asking some co workers, it seems that changing this option to DISABLED worked...I previously had it at ENABLE W/COPY...Any reason why???

untitled.JPG

After some digging around and asking some co workers, it seems that changing this option to DISABLED worked...I previously had it at ENABLE W/COPY...Any reason why???

Excerpt taken from the help file for ACAD 2009:

"Work with Demand Loading

With demand loading, only the data from the referenced drawing that is necessary to regenerate the current drawing is loaded into memory.

To realize the maximum benefits of demand loading, you need to save the referenced drawings with layer and spatial indexes. The performance benefits of demand loading are most noticeable when you do one of the following:

• Clip the xref with the program to display a small fraction of it. A spatial index is saved in the externally referenced drawing.
  • Freeze several layers of the xref. The externally referenced drawing is saved with a layer index.

If demand loading is turned on, and you have clipped xrefs that were saved with spatial indexes, objects in the referenced drawing database that are contained within the clip volume comprise the majority of the objects read into the drawing. If the clip volume is modified, more objects are loaded as required from the reference drawing. Similarly, if you have xrefs with many layers frozen that were saved with layer indexes, only the objects on those thawed layers are read into the current drawing. If those xref-dependent layers are thawed, the program reads in that geometry from the reference drawing as required.

When demand loading is turned on, the program places a lock on all reference drawings so that it can read in any geometry it needs to on demand. Other users can open those reference drawings, but they cannot save changes to them. If you want other users to be able to modify an xref that is being demand loaded into another drawing, use demand loading with the Copy option.

If you turn on demand loading with the Enable with Copy option, the program makes a temporary copy of the referenced drawing and demand loads the temporary file. You can then demand load the xref while allowing the original reference drawing to be available for modification. When you turn off demand loading, the program reads in the entire reference drawing regardless of layer visibility or clip instances.

Layer and spatial indexes were added in AutoCAD Release 14 and AutoCAD LT 97. If you externally reference a drawing saved in a release previous to this, you do not see the same performance benefit as drawings saved with the indexes. For maximum performance, use demand loading with referenced drawings saved with layer and spatial indexes turned on in AutoCAD Release 14, AutoCAD LT 97, or more recent versions."

Don't know if that helps any or not.

i DID READ THAT, BUT DIDNT HELP WITH UNDERSTANDING THE CONCEPT OF WHAT IT DOES...iT WORKS FOR NOW, BUT ILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT EXACTLY WHAT THAT IS CONTROLLING..

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYBODY

i DID READ THAT, BUT DIDNT HELP WITH UNDERSTANDING THE CONCEPT OF WHAT IT DOES...iT WORKS FOR NOW, BUT ILL HAVE TO FIGURE OUT EXACTLY WHAT THAT IS CONTROLLING..

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYBODY

If I had to take a stab at it, I would think it's to help load x-refs faster and to minimize the amount of information retained in your drawing once you x-ref other drawings into it.

You really don't want to disable demand loading of xrefs. We had a problem with one of our workstations a few months ago, where every time the user would open a drawing, all xrefs attached to that drawing would be locked and could only be opened read only, so no one else could work on those files while the guy had his drawing open. The problem was that his demand loading of xrefs was disabled. You should leave it "Enabled with Copy" if you're working on a network where others may need access to the files you are referencing.

So your saying, that if it is disabled and I go into a plan sheet, all the xrefs attached to that sheet will be locked to others for editing???