Exporting new cutom palette group

mileycad

What is the best method..... i have created a tool palette group that has all our standard blocks on it, and i want to export this so other machines in my office can all have the same palette group on their machines (the blocks are on the shared cad drive of network)

From what i remeber there was an export in 2008 ....in MEP 2009 its not giving me the option under the 'customize' menu..... please help me with a step by step method even if it means a way of copying files from a certain folder if need be.

What is the best method..... i have created a tool palette group that has all our standard blocks on it, and i want to export this so other machines in my office can all have the same palette group on their machines (the blocks are on the shared cad drive of network)

From what i remeber there was an export in 2008 ....in MEP 2009 its not giving me the option under the 'customize' menu..... please help me with a step by step method even if it means a way of copying files from a certain folder if need be.

You will have to do it manually. Look at the image, this is the path in which the MEP Palettes (a.k.a. the *.ATC files) are located. Just copy the entire directory to another computer in the same location, overwriting the current one and you will have everything done. You still will have to set up the View Options of each Palette I do believe.

3102796504_3a2a9ee10e_o.png

And obviously the best option would be to have a default Tool Palettes directory on a network that is shared, which the path mapped on each MEP station in Options. :)

Hope this helps.

You will have to do it manually. Look at the image, this is the path in which the MEP Palettes (a.k.a. the *.ATC files) are located. Just copy the entire directory to another computer in the same location, overwriting the current one and you will have everything done. You still will have to set up the View Options of each Palette I do believe.

3102796504_3a2a9ee10e_o.png

And obviously the best option would be to have a default Tool Palettes directory on a network that is shared, which the path mapped on each MEP station in Options. :)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your swift response, I have copied this folder already today to another pc on my network and overwritten the pallete folder in the workspace folder......the new palette did not appear to be there, when you say 'set up the view options' what exactly do you mean, im pretty sure its just something silly i havnt done.

Thanks in advance.....

did you restart AutoCAD MEP?

maybe it is because the other version is MEP 2008??..... the palettes have been created in 2009.......... but file structures etc are all the same...... and seeing i overwrote the whole folder ...all the other existing palettes have opened up again fine, just no sign of the new ones, although when i look in the folder they are all there....... :(

OK guys the palettes are showing now fine on the other machine, but seems the group is not there just the palettes, anyway of transferring over the group with all the pallets in order as i had already set up??

No, the groups you will have to re-create. Kinda sucks but that's the way it has always been with Tool Palettes. :)

Thanks!! .....Thats not good when you have a lot of machines on a network!!.......also as blocks are added to the folder on the network will the palletes update on restarting MEP?

No, the groups you will have to re-create. Kinda sucks but that's the way it has always been with Tool Palettes. :)

Stykface do you have msn I wouldnt mind just discussing one other feature with you if you have time.

Thanks

info@mileycad.com

.......also as blocks are added to the folder on the network will the palletes update on restarting MEP?

If everyone is mapped to the same Tool Palettes on the network, then yes. However, you need to make that directory as Read Only for all users and keep you (or the CAD Manager) that controls the Tool Palettes as an Admin with full Read/Write capabilities.

The reason is the last person to close AutoCAD MEP, it saves their Tool Palette configuration as the last setup. So if you made changes to the Tool Palettes and then someone else was the last person to close AutoCAD then it will overwrite the changes you made previously.

should be able to do it easily if you have an I.T. Admin in your office. :)