Modelling a 3d car with autocad

Davidak

The teapot is ordinary at best; the car is definitely not ordinary.

Let's start with something pretty straight forward. Model the rims, tires and disc brakes as solids. Don't skimp on the details. We need to see lug nuts, valve stems, and tire tread. You can start immediately.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davidak

• ReMark

• mikekmx

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is disk brake necessary? I merely want to design for aesthetic purpose only, for now just want to get the basic shape

this is kinda the point. without a good level of detail it will look rubbish. a bit like your 'basic shape' teapot! (sorry, no offence intended)

if you look at the teapot by Cad64 you will notice the massive level of detail/complex geometry. (I presume it is a drawing?)

btw - have you checked Cad64's site?

Is disk brake necessary? I merely want to design for aesthetic purpose only, for now just want to get the basic shape

So you don't really want to model a car in 3D using AutoCAD you just want to make something that looks kind of like a car. Then I'd suggest creating a top, side, front and possibly a rear view of the car as 2D profiles then after lining them correctly in relation to each other extrude all four profiles and use the INTEFERE command to get the final result. It will look like one of those painted block cars that were popular way back when.

Sorry, didn't mean to be misleading. I didn't make that teapot. It's just a photo I found online for you to use as reference in creating a better looking teapot. It has some complex shapes and a lot more detail than the one you made.

I don't use Autocad for 3D, so I can't help you much in terms of what commands and procedures to use. I use 3ds Max, Modo and a few other programs.

3Dcar.jpg

A 3D model of a Lamborgini created in AutoCAD. If you are going to do it then at least make an effort to do it well. No, I did not model this car. I can't even recall where I got the original file (dated 2007).

Start with the rims and tires. Create a closed profile of the rim and revolve it. Follow that up with creating a suitable tire. It would be nice if the tire weren't bald but had some tread on it.

Have a look in the Autocad directory \supportfiles there should be some car samples if you have access to Auto turn there are multiple 3d models including trucks. Search here for TITI95 he has modelled his own sports car design and tis immensley impressive renders.

Edited by BIGAL

the tyres arent a problem, i need some tips for the body

I hope you aren't going to create "donuts" for tires as anyone with a smattering of 3D modelling knowledge of AutoCAD could do that. Come on....show us your skillz dude. Impress us.

Does this mean you have already created the rims? Where are they? Let's see an image.

just a tyre in full detail would be an interesting/challenging task if a teapot sounds a little tame.

i'm not sure i could do a decent job.

I think a good looking tire when add to the realism as opposed to a "donut" style tire.

Re: body parts. Perhaps the EDGESURF command would be of some use.

Optional challenge. Go into your kitchen or lunch room and find a spoon and model that in 3D.

Now, on to the body parts. Where are you starting?

One suggestion...change the background for your renders. The tire rendering appears rather dark.

Here is a tyre I modelled. Its not great but I can work with it[ATTACH=CONFIG]51411[/ATTACH]

impressive!

i wish i had the time to attempt this.