VIEWBASE dimension problem / bug?

Buzza

No problem dimensioning so far. An example...

BuzzaVB_1.JPG

Yes, I know, it would never be dimensioned like this but I wanted to see how many dimensions could share a single corner.

Is there something you'd like me to dimension specifically?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• nestly

• Buzza

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The loss of OSnaps seems to be temporary. In all my tests, as soon as I close and re-open the drawing, OSnaps work again on objects within the Drawing Views that were "un-snappable" in the previous session.

No problem dimensioning so far. An example...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51871[/ATTACH]

Yes, I know, it would never be dimensioned like this but I wanted to see how many dimensions could share a single corner.

Is there something you'd like me to dimension specifically?

Yes, try just the back plates as this is where I experience the problem. Dimensions like you have shown have never been an issue, just when the first and second dim point belong to the same object.

If that works, can you leave it open for a few hours in the background and then try.

Thanks.

The loss of OSnaps seems to be temporary. In all my tests, as soon as I close and re-open the drawing, OSnaps work again on objects within the Drawing Views that were "un-snappable" in the previous session.

I experience the same. Which is why I wonder if it is more a pc performance issue.

What are your specs nestly?

The "back plates"? There are only two tabs: Model (the 3D models) and A3 (the 2D views of the front of each plate).

Sorry I should have been clearer, the valves will be mounted on a st stl sheet (back plate) eg, on the bottom row the back plate is 1261mm x 184mm the next row up is 1061mm x 184mm (this is the one I had problems dimensioning until I closed CAD and opened again).

Hope that makes sense.

I don't think the problem is necessarily performance related. I've tested on two machines each with 16GB RAM and each with Quadro video cards. My examples were all done using the default acad.dwt template and contained only a single solid BOX which was mirrored, so neither the memory footprint, nor the filesize was very large. Having said that, it would not surprise me that more problems exist with VIEWBASE as the drawing becomes more complex, but that seems less likely to me in this case as it only seems to affect snapping a dimension to two different parts of the SAME object.

In my case, I can re-create the problem at will, but to do so, I have to create a Drawing View, delete it, then re-create. Can you verify whether you have or have not deleted any Drawing Views within the drawing session where the problem occurs, and/or are there multiple drawing views of the same object(s)

OK...just dimension the back plates themselves. Anything else?

Not right now.

I don't think the problem is necessarily performance related. I've tested on two machines each with 16GB RAM and each with Quadro video cards. My examples were all done using the default acad.dwt template and contained only a single solid BOX which was mirrored, so neither the memory footprint, nor the filesize was very large. Having said that, it would not surprise me that more problems exist with VIEWBASE as the drawing becomes more complex, but that seems less likely to me in this case as it only seems to snapping a dimension to two different parts of the SAME object.

In my case, I can re-create the problem at will, but to do so, I have to create a Drawing View, delete it, then re-create. Can you verify whether you have or have not deleted any Drawing Views within the drawing session where the problem occurs, and/or are there multiple drawing views of the same object(s)

By drawing view, do you mean the 2d results of viewbase? If so then yes. I do tend to delete and re create them.

Which software do you use to record your screen? I have just come across the problem on the same drawing. As you can see, the gap between the top row of panels and the next row down is bigger than the others. I used DIM to select the bottom left point and then the top left point on the next row down. Now when I DIM it will not let me snap to either panels.

I went a little crazy with some of the dimensioning, on purpose, but no matter what I do I cannot make the problem manifest itself.

BuzzaVB_3.jpg

Maybe the two of you have managed to become infected with ViewBase ebola?:cry:

I went a little crazy with some of the dimensioning, on purpose, but no matter what I do I cannot make the problem manifest itself.

haha, yeah I think that might be the case.

can you try deleting some of the dims and trying again in a few hours, leaving the drawing open in between. Thanks for your assistance with this BTW.

Sure, I can do that. Would a couple of hours be sufficient?

Yes that should be fine, I have had it happen after returning from lunch and it was working fine before.

By drawing view, do you mean the 2d results of viewbase? If so then yes. I do tend to delete and re create them.

Yes, a "Drawing View" is an actual AutoCAD object... similar to a Viewport (which might be another route to explore and avoid the VIEWBASE headaches, especially since you're not showing any hidden lines in your projections anyway)

Drawing Views.gif

Which software do you use to record your screen?
For video/animation, I use Camtasia Studio, but two free alternatives are Camtasia's little brother Jing, and Autodesk has Screencast (formerly known as Chronicle) which is a actually a Plug-in for AutoCAD and a few other Autodesk products. -- youtube demo -->

Na... I'd like to have you duplicate what's shown in the two youtube vids I posted. With 3DOsnaps enabled, I'm pretty sure you'd have the same results. The 2nd one, done entirely in Plan View, would literally take two minutes.

Yes, a "Drawing View" is an actual AutoCAD object... similar to a Viewport (which might be another route to explore and avoid the VIEWBASE headaches, especially since you're not showing any hidden lines in your projections anyway)

For video/animation, I use Camtasia Studio, but two free alternatives are Camtasia's little brother Jing, and Autodesk has Screencast (formerly known as Chronicle) which is a actually a Plug-in for AutoCAD and a few other Autodesk products. -- youtube demo -->

Thanks, that's useful to know.

I used some gif maker in windows 7 but you can't add notes easily like Camtasia. This just happened to me, note where green snaps show. And, after adding the dimension I can't snap to those objects anymore.

My gif uploads as a jpeg...

... they were bigger than 500kb that's why.. see below:

.ViewbaseSmallPart2.gif

ViewbaseSmallPart1.gif

I'm baaaaaaaack.

In the image below the cyan colored dimensions circled in yellow were the ones I deleted earlier (2.5 hrs. ago) then came back and added moments ago. Still no problem dimensioning the drawing.

BuzzVB_5.jpg

Don't know what to tell you at this point.