VIEWBASE dimension problem / bug?

Buzza

Well that's interesting... you should not even be able to activate MS in a Layout without a Viewport :?

None-the-less, I was definitely in PSPACE while attempting to dimension the DV's (Drawing Views) in my examples of unsnappable DV objects.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• nestly

• Buzza

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OP has a viewport in his drawing but the layer is frozen. Yet, through some quirk I suddenly found myself inside the viewport (but NOT in model space)! Weird or what?

I'd suggest deleting the viewport then purging the layer from the drawing. See if that makes any difference.

The OP has a viewport in his drawing but the layer is frozen. Yet, through some quirk I suddenly found myself inside the viewport (but NOT in model space)! Weird or what?

I'd suggest deleting the viewport then purging the layer from the drawing. See if that makes any difference.

I will have to wait until it breaks again before I test as it is currently working fine.

Re the viewport, is this not the normal thing to do? I always put my VP on its own layer and freeze it, this removes the border so it doesn't plot. I only use it when doing 2D drawings though, but never delete it if I'm not using it, eg. if I'm doing 3D.

If I am doing a 2D drawing and I need to make a small change, then I double click in the VP on my layout to take me to model space. Then when I'm done I double click outside of the VP or click the MODEL tab at the bottom. I thought this was quite normal?

As Nestly said, I am definitely in PS too, I thought you meant switch to MS to check if the controls were there or not.

I do not see any reason why you need a viewport if you are using VIEWBASE to create the 2D views in paper space. It serves no useful purpose in my opinion.

And although it was on a layer that was frozen I was able to activate it.

None-the-less, I had no dimensioning problems to speak of.

I agree there is no reason, it is from the template that I use for all drawings. Just I never bother to delete it if I am using VB instead. I usually forget about it because you can't see it.

I have been able to activate a frozen VP for the last 2-3 years when I started using CAD so it's not so strange for me :).

Just for fun ;)

Can you do the same but try to COPY the object not mirror. In my last example I definitely did not use MIRROR but I did COPY.

I will follow your steps as the last video to see if I can reproduce.

Edit: I followed your steps exactly but did NOT manage replicate the problem. You seem to have more consistent results than me...?

Edit: I followed your steps exactly but did NOT manage replicate the problem. You seem to have more consistent results than me...?

3DOsnaps enabled? As I mentioned previously, (and demonstrated in the first youtube vid) I can only produce the problem when AutoCAD has acquired and OSnap point at multiple elevations (Z-axis) during a modify command (MIRROR, COPY, ROTATE etc)

... and "yes" I can cause Osnaps to fail in the resultant Drawing view after using COPY and/or ROTATE according to the criteria above.

VIEWBASE is just fragile (as are all the trans-spacial tools in AutoCAD) and it can be broken pretty easily. IMO, you have two choices, either put up with it and close/re-open the drawing(s) every time the Drawing View break, or use a different tool (Multiple Viewports, or FLATSHOT)

I looked at the video nestly it and seems you had to purposely (intentionally?) edit the 3D model in such a way as to get the results you were after.

No, I didn't do anything out of ordinary with regard to editing the model. In particular, in the 2nd youtube all the editing took place in PLAN view with just two commands ERASE and MIRROR. There wasn't even any tracking, just MIRROR command using the existing vertices on the edge of the Box as the OSnap points for the mirror line. The only purposeful thing I've done is to create then delete a DV, but even then I didn't know that was a requirement when I first discovered the problem.

But I do believe it comes down to workflow as you mentioned previously. See, by the time I get to the point where I am ready to use VIEWBASE I'm 99% finished. Rarely, if ever, do I need to return to the model once I've decided to invoke VIEWBASE. What I mean is I don't create the 3D model, invoke VIEWBASE, set up my view(s), add dimensions, then return to the model and make changes.

Totally agree, it's probably not typical workflow, and obviously something the OP is doing is making VIEWBASE angry.... however I would point out that in my examples, I'm not actually editing the model after the DV has been created... I'm deleting the existing DV's and creating a new one from scratch after modifying the model.

"...creating a new one from scratch."

Thanks. That just got me thinking about something. I'll have to conduct a little experiment first. I'll be back.

You're gonna need more chocolate and almonds :)

Not to worry. It's my new hobby. I must have 20lbs. of dark, milk and white chocolate in the kitchen.

OK...my little experiment is finished.

I have an observation and a question. It appears that in your video you delete the view, along with the dimension, prior to returning to model space to edit the model. Why aren't you editing the model first then returning to paper space and invoking the VIEWUPDATE command (to update the 2D view) then start over with your dimensioning? It seems to me you are circumventing an important part of the process.

It's an interesting question, but I think this may be the first time in the history of AutoCAD where modifying an object is less likely to cause problems than simply deleting and recreating from scratch. On the flip side, I know of other issues with Drawing Views that can not be resolved until ALL existing drawing views are deleted from the drawing, so while avoiding the deletion of DV's may help the OP in this particular case, it doesn't explain why you can't/shouldn't just be able to delete DV and start over from scratch.

Yeah me too. I'm surprised I haven't heard back from Autodesk yet.... I'm not sure if they're shortstaffed because of AU2014, or whether they're also trying to get a good grasp on the problem before responding. I did state that I was submitting it more as a bug report, rather than something I needed a resolution for.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I've finished a Support Request with Autodesk on this issue. They have been able to replicate the issue (although not consistently) and have sent it to product development for further investigation.

Apparently using any of the modify commands (MOVE/COPY/ROTATE/MIRROR etc) can cause Drawing View objects to become unsnappable if they had previously been dimensioned in a Drawing View which was subsequently deleted. Fortunately, the issue seems not to persist after the drawing has been closed and re-opened, so for now that's the "fix" if/when it occurs.

• 7 months later...

Good afternoon all,

I started reading this in the archives and decided to sign up, register and tell you my findings.

I disabled "3D Object Snap" 3DOSNAP and was able to reacquire all of missing object snaps that appeared to be hindering you all as well.

Check it out and let us know if that works for you, OP.