Paper folding

grain

Has anyone invented a printer that lightly scores the sheet as it prints to enable quick folding of drawings?

Or does any one use any clever jigs etc to get quick accurate folds.

in my last office the company bought this KIP printer, scanner & folder which was nearly the size of a small car, very quick but i prefer a bit of colour

04_5000_folder_front.jpg

That thing looks like a desk from the Death Star:? . Personally, I've never had a problem folding drawings, then again I used to do origami as a kid so that may have something to do with it. I could probably come up with a simple jig (MDF, some mortised hinges, and a few spring or magnetic clips). But I'd rather do it in Solidworks than ACA09. Maybe sKetchup...I'll see how board I get this week:geek:

(pun intended)

You don't need jigs or machinery or anything of that nature. I only use A1 media and I can fold a drawing correctly in just a few seconds. All you do is fold the paper in half each time, so your just putting opposite corners together every time. No guessing involved. If you want to know the exact sequence just let me know...

Gaz...

I enjoy folding myself, Unless I'm printing 8 copies of plans with 5-6 sheets each of course. However I also like the challenge of designing a jig to accomplish this, similar to shirt folding boards. Maybe some sort of Rube Goldberg device? Where did I put my cymbal clashing monkey?...

There is a correct way to fold drawings and that is when you are finished the title block is visible/readable. It's a function of the size of the drawing. I'm used to dealing with 24x36, 18x24 and 11x17 sizes.

that's the nice thing with the A series. You can fold them all to the same finished size and provided your drawing blank and your folding method are compatible, all the neccessary information ends up in the same place.

I'd recommend the excellent book How to Fold Just About Anything by the German author Papier Kutt.

I think I saw a book by hhis dad once. How to look good without a hat by Herr Kutt.

Another highly recommended book is Folding Drawings by Ori Gami.

On a slightly different topic the very popular How I Doubled My Money by I. Foldenhaf makes for light but enjoyable reading.

I'm sure I remember some CNC contraption that scored card as well as cutting out the net (in my previous incarnation as a D&T teacher)

I thought there maybe some adaptation that could be made to a HP500 to make it lightly score the paper as it printed it. I was asked to print and fold 88 drawings the other morning. I do time myself to make it more interesting but it is still taking me about 20 seconds.

I usually time myself by the output of our plotter. 5 sheets aligned, stapled and neatly folded in roughly 30-45 seconds. Usually leaves me with another 15-30 seconds until the next batch is done plotting (God I love laser plotters XD)

Time thinking about problem + time spent inquiring at CADTutor about problem + time spent responding to posts + time coming up with suitable scoring mechanism to attach to HP500, + time actually building said mechanism, testing said mechanism, altering said mechanism, retesting said mechanism, + at least three visits to the emergency room for various cuts and missing digits, + time lost from work while waiting for hands to heel + time convincing boss this is actually worth pursuing and not a big waste of company time and money + yada, yada, yada......

Jeez, just fold the damn drawings and be done with it.:lol: :lol: :lol: