3GB Switch causes blue screen of death!

chulse

Has anyone used the 3GB optopn on windows XP without problems?

Or more to my issue - has anyone had problems and resolved them?

I get a blue screen whenever I try to boot with the 3GB option.

Info on the 3GB Switch:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791558.aspx

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=9729516&linkID=9240697

Thanks

I've used the 3GB switch successfully with XP Pro except that Map's Image Insert won't work with a World (.tfw) file. Acad support tells me it's a bug with the 3GB.

Well, I wonder what's causing the blue screen of death then? Anyone know a way to find out?

The MS website says it is likely a driver conflict, but how do I find out what one?

I'm no expert, so use caution...

If you run Msconfig from Windows > Start > Run, under the Startup tab you can turn off Startup Items and reboot to see if the item(s) are causing the problem. You better read Help first though.

When I was fixing computers, the first thing I would attempt in your situation is to google the information displayed on the bluescreen (hex code, i.e. 0x0432c2ad). You may get lucky and stumble on a good explaination from Microsoft. Second thing is a simple swap of the memory around on the motherboard slots. While its not difficult, I don't recommend you attempt this if you are really nervous at the thought of opening your computer case. Also be sure you're properly grounded (if you have any decent EEs near you they should have a wristband you can borrow). If swapping the sticks doesn't change anything (not a cureall, but I've seen it solve a lot of very silly issues), I'd try rolling back the 3GB switch to find out it is related to that so you can focus your search for the solution.

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

as near as my IT folks and I can tell, this is simply a conflict with the Video card (NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M). Just aint gonna work on this machine with this card.

Too bad an old DOS trick couldn't be used here. For instance, the order in which a driver was loaded. Another trick was to reserve a specific memory location for the loading of a driver. Windows has taken the option of doing that out of our hands.