Scaled Units In a Dynamic Block

MaxwellEdison

Well my last two dynamic block questions generated no responses, which leads me to one of two conclusions. Either no one here is willing to hazard a solution (unlikely on this forum). Or I am the unquestioned champion of dynamic block design and if I cannot accomplish it, it cannot be done (unlikely in this universe:roll: ) It is in the spirit of discovery however, that I press on with a new question! Huzzah!

I've been working on a set of dynamic details for our drawings which are tightly constrained so that novice users can intuitively use them without much explaination. The problem I've run into however, is that I designed these blocks in model space, but I want them to be inserted into paperspace. The blocks are meant to be inserted at a scale of 1:48 or .02083333 (1/4"=1'-0"). When I do this the dimensions and incremental tickmarks all work fine, but the properties palette shows the parameter settings at that quarter inch scale, so my 12" dimension in the block displays as 0.25000000 in the properties palette. Is there anyway to change these parameters so that the properties dialog will agree with the dimensions when the block is inserted at the 1/48th scale factor?

I've attached a genericized version of my block below to demonstrate.

On a related note, I've run into a situation where the hatch pattern loses is association with the linework (usually at extreme ends of the settings). Its been spotty trying to reproduce it, but has anyone come across this before either?

Edit: I found the answer for the hatch association problem, basically the Autocad and I had different opinions over which lines constituted the boundary for the hatch, and when stretched above the top of the boundary line, which was intentionally not stretched, the hatch lost its association. I replaced the geometry in question with a seperate polyline and it seems to be playing by the rules now.

Example (2).dwg

Well my last two dynamic block questions generated no responses, which leads me to one of two conclusions. Either no one here is willing to hazard a solution (unlikely on this forum). Or I am the unquestioned champion of dynamic block design and if I cannot accomplish it, it cannot be done (unlikely in this universe:roll: ) It is in the spirit of discovery however, that I press on with a new question! Huzzah!

Max, I have not yet delved into the realm of dynamic blocks, however, it is something I have been wanting to do since I found out about them. Of course, I'm the only one in my company that even likes the idea. However when I pitch my idea of converting things to dynamic blocks for ease of use, everyone is suddenly interested in having it done already. :x

So, while I did indeed respond to this post, it's not because I could give you an answer. :( But I will begin to mess with it to see if I can figure it out by sheer dumb luck. :D

Well I do appreciate it, its good to know at least someone is reading these. I did find the answer for the hatch association problem, basically the Autocad and I had different opinions over which lines constituted the boundary for the hatch, and when stretched above the top of the boundary line, which was intentionally not stretched, the hatch lost its association. I replaced the geometry in question with a seperate polyline and it seems to be playing by the rules now.

I see so much potential for dynamic blocks, it gets frustratring sometimes when on seemingly minor thing ruins your vision for the whole thing. I hope you start playing around with them, because I love discussing the different possibilities.

Question for you:

Why do you need to use these in Paperspace? Why not just use them in Modelspace and use a viewport in Paperspace to view the blocks as whatever scale you need them at?

I've got a pretty good handle on dynamic blocks so I'll help you out as much as I can.

@SuperCAD: I don't need these to be in paperspace. But I'm designing this for my whole office. Since we're using HSBCad on top of our Architecture09 installation we can get a fairly complicated modelspace. To deal with this we've tried to move as much annotation and detailing into paperspace that we can. Right now, we have many details covering slightly different situations, which we then edit to suit any modifications from the structural engineer. Basically we try and keep all 3d elements in model space and most 2d elements in paperspace.

@Raggi_Thor: The problem as it stands is that the dimensions and the incremental distances in the DB agree, but the values as they show up under the Custom heading in the properties palette reflect the scale factor applied to the block. I would like to find a way to make those values agree with the dimensions in the block (to "free" them from the scale factor so to speak), while also keeping the same incremental distance constraints on the parameters. Otherwise they would not make sense to the person using the dynamic block.