Unable to explode Block

I opened an AutoCAD drawing of a building (not done in AutoCAD Architecture) and the entire layout was blocked. I attempted the explode command and it didn't change anything. I was able to go into the block editor, copy all contents, and paste it into a new blank drawing. Once pasted, it was no longer a block. Anyone experience that before, where you're not able to explode a block? Is there a way to lock/unlock blocks?

If the block is set up so that you cannot explode it, run the BEDIT command to open the block in the block editor. Once in the editor, open your Properties palette and scroll down to the "Block" section at the bottom of the palette. There you can set "Allow Exploding" to Yes. Save and Close the block editor and you should be able to explode the block.