Linetype won't reverse

Kyle G

I've done quite a bit of searching and haven't found a solution to my issue. First I'll tell you what I'm trying to do and how I've tried to fix it.

I have a pipe network and I'm trying to go from a dual line (to show pipe OD in plan view) to single line with arrows (to indicate flow direction). I've tried two different methods of creating a linetype.

1) changing the code in the acad.lin file. It looks like this

*SanitarySewer,Sanitary ---->---->---->---->---->---->--

A,10,-.2,[">",STANDARD,S=2,U=0.0,X=-1.5,Y=-0.85],-.25

2) Creating a shape from custom lines and turning that into a linetype (I didn't like this method as it never lined up properly with the endpoints).

What I've tried to do to fix the problem

1) I've tried creating a new code by switching the direction of the arrows as seen below. I figured I could just manual choose the linetype for each pipe and change direction as needed. This didn't work.

*SanitarySewer,Sanitary ----

A,10,-.2,[">",STANDARD,S=2,U=0.0,X=-1.5,Y=-0.85],-.25

2) The Reverse command. This didn't change the direction of the arrows.

3) Using just a regular line I created in a blank space in my drawing, I tried rotating it, changing the elevations to indicate different flow (although I'm not sure the linetype recognizes that?), and I could not get the arrows to point in another direction.

All I really want to do is show direction of flow in my pipe network. If there is a simpler way, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I need some assistance getting this linetype issue resolved. I've attached my drawing (it is my first time designing and creating plans so pardon the organization). You should notice right away two lines with arrows.

EDIT: It comes up with an error every time I try to load my file. It's only 3MB so I can't imagine its too large?

In both your linetype definitions, you are using the U factor, which will keep the symbol the same way up however you reverse the line.

Whilst I do not have the facility to check, I would suggest changing the "U" for an "R" and see what happens.

• Agree 1

Eldon,

That seems to have done it. It amazes me how something so little can cause such frustration. I appreciate your help.

Kyle

Alright, so that above fix worked fine with normal lines. I'm having issues applying it to my pipe network. I've gone into Pipe Properties ---> Single Line (Sanitary) ---> edited style to use the sanitary linetype as shown above) However now I can't flip the direction of the arrows. I tried editing the direction of flow and reversing that and nothing happened.

Are your network lines polylines? I thought that only polylines could be reversed, but I may be out of date on that.

The U factor is to keep the text Upright, and the R factor is for the angular rotation with respect to the line. If you set the R at 180, then you may have to adjust the X and Y offsets the keep the symbol aligned.

It would have been better if you could have posted a file, but 3MB is too large. Try posting a drawing with just one or two of these lines, and purge everything else out of the drawing unless you have success with my suggestions.

I figured out the issue through some experimenting. When creating the pipe network wherever you start the pipe (whether it is upstream or downstream) is the beginning of the pipe, and wherever you end the pipe is the end. So regardless of the flow direction, or slope of the pipe, the linetype arrows will only go in the direction that you created the pipe. So in my case, I had to delete the pipes and redraw them in the opposite direction (to follow the direction of flow). I couldn't find a method to automatically switch it.

• 8 years later...
On 2/6/2015 at 8:12 AM, eldon said:

In both your linetype definitions, you are using the U factor, which will keep the symbol the same way up however you reverse the line.

Whilst I do not have the facility to check, I would suggest changing the "U" for an "R" and see what happens.

this worked!! Thank you!! 🙌