ENTSEL to cycle through selection set...

lamensterms

Hi guys,

I'm not even sure I am going about this the right way, but let me try to explain what I'm trying to achieve, and the method I am trying to achieve it.

I have a ProSteel command (PS_CREATE_SPEZPART) that I would like to pass each element of a selection set to - one by one. From what I understand, this ProSteel command will accept selections in the form of ENTSEL, but not single item selection sets.

So I had a thought to create a selection set, and cycle through it using the REPEAT & SSNAME functions.

(defun c:tmi ()
(prompt "\nSelect item:")
(setq ss (ssget))
(setq num (sslength ss))
(setq con 0)
(repeat num  
(setq ent3A (ssname ss con))
(command "PS_CREATE_SPEZPART" ent3A nil)
(setq con (1+ con))
)
)

... which does not work.

I think what I am struggling with is... SSNAME returns the name of an entity - rather than selects that entity. Is this correct or am I missing something?

So my question is, is it possible to pass each element to this ProSteel command, in the same manner as ENTSEL would?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Since entsel returns a list of two items (the selected entity and the center of the cursor pickbox), try something like the following:

(defun c:tmi ( / num sel )
   (prompt "\nSelect item: ")
   (if (setq sel (ssget))
       (repeat (setq num (sslength sel))
           (command "_.PS_CREATE_SPEZPART" 
               (list (ssname sel (setq num (1- num))) '(0 0 0))
           )
       )
   )
   (princ)
)

Depending on how the command operates, the point supplied with the entity may need to be located on or near to the object.

Hi Lee and BigAl,

Thanks a lot for your help. You have, once again, nailed it.

Lee - your routine works great, I have tested it on a few types and combinations of elements, and it has worked every time. To further my education though, could you please explain the logic/philosophy behind the "(1- num)". I understand it is being used to work through the selection set (being the index for SSNAME). I just can't get my head around "1-"... is it the same as "num - 1" (but in the correct syntax)?

Haha, BigAl - Lee sure is quick, thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks a lot for your help. You have, once again, nailed it.

Lee - your routine works great, I have tested it on a few types and combinations of elements, and it has worked every time.

Excellent to hear! Thank you lamensterms :)

To further my education though, could you please explain the logic/philosophy behind the "(1- num)". I understand it is being used to work through the selection set (being the index for SSNAME). I just can't get my head around "1-"... is it the same as "num - 1" (but in the correct syntax)?

Exactly -

The 1- & 1+ functions are just convenient & quick functions which simply increment or decrement a given numerical value by one:

(1+ x) is the same as (+ x 1)

(1- x) is the same as (- x 1)

Therefore, my code is iterating over the selection set starting with the entity at the (sslength-1)th position and decrementing the index to zero (since selection set indexes are zero-based). For more information on this topic, you might find my tutorial on Selection Set Processing of interest.

It's not actually Lee, he set up a lisp routine to answer questions for him.

:lol: :lol: What can I say, LISP was originally intended for developing A.I. ;)