How to curve an 3d object around arc in autocad ?

wael elsafty

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53018[/ATTACH]

Shouldn't these objects be curved the same as the main ring? They look straight to me like a dog bone or a dumbbell that's been stuck to the circumference of the ring.

yes my friend its a circumference of the ring,

thank you

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wael elsafty

• ReMark

• BKT

• scj

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is really a way to do it, but it is time- and ressource-consuming (for my computer ;-)).

1. Create the cylinder and an arc on its surface - having the same length as the object to bend.

2. Slice the object into slices to get a "good fitted model ".

3. Create cross-section from the slices pieces.

4. Locate them on the arc using 3DALIGN.

5. Use LOFT using the located cross-sections and the arc as guide line.

This are only the main steps. You have to transform Splines into Polys on the way and some more trouble...

Good luck

Jochen

Dear Jochen

I have summarized all steps which previously did,i think it is the same steps ,but because i'm still AUTOCAD beginner and this the first CAD work ,i think that i make more and more steps more than you did ,really you have good experience and professional technique and i learned some of autocad command from your post , which spends less time work if i know it,any way,i have noted that lofted pattern must be Perpendicular to fit the arc radius ,

finally thank you very much for all ,and hope other friend have and feedback us with different technique.

(sorry for my Poor english skills)

Regards

Wael elsafty

my wael.jpg

my wael.dwg

OK...I give up. Either I'm not saying it right or you don't understand what I am trying to say. Personally I think you are using the wrong program to design your ring. There has to be something better than AutoCAD to do this type of work. Here is one example...

http://www.gemvision.com/matrix/

Dear Mr, ReMark

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR HELP , REALLY YOU ARE GENTLE MAN ,I COULD NOT REFER TO THE CORRECT EXPLANATION FOR MY REQUIRE,SO I'M SORRY IF THERE IS MISUNDERSTAND, I KNOW GEMVISION AND RHINO ,BUT I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU CAN DO A THING WITHOUT MORE TOOLS , YOU WILL DO MORE AND MORE CREATIVE THINGS IF YOU ALREADY HAVE .

SO THE AUTOCAD FOR ME IS JUST A START TO GET CAD EXPERIENCE AND TO BE MORE FAMILIAR FOR CAD ENVIRONMENT.

I WILL GO TO INVENTOR THEN MATRIX AND RHINO BUT I TRIED TO DO THE SAME WORK USING DIFFERENT AND MANY CAD SOFTWARE.

FINALLY I APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT AND YOUR SOFT TALK .

THANK YOU SO MUCH

WAEL ELSAFTY

Haven't you ever heard the phrase "Use the right tool for the job"? In my opinion AutoCAD is not the right tool for this job. I appreciate the fact you like a good challenge but there are easier, more productive ways to accomplish the same thing yet still allow you a wide range of flexibility and creativity. If you really want to go "old school" on a ring design put down CAD and pick up the tools that jewelers and craftsmen have been using for centuries. These types of skills are in high demand even today and will challenge both mind and body.

Haven't you ever heard the phrase "Use the right tool for the job"? In my opinion AutoCAD is not the right tool for this job. I appreciate the fact you like a good challenge but there are easier, more productive ways to accomplish the same thing yet still allow you a wide range of flexibility and creativity. If you really want to go "old school" on a ring design put down CAD and pick up the tools that jewelers and craftsmen have been using for centuries. These types of skills are in high demand even today and will challenge both mind and body.

I am a proponent of the use of technology and using fully automatic production line if possible,fast and accuracy and no idle time ,really im a cost accountant and one of my hobbies is jewelry design,so i seeking to match between my academic study and my hobbies work.

The jewelry design softwares is one of my policy to apply and accomplish my aims faster.

Of course the craftsman and handcrafted silks it's the first step and i have excellent background for many years ,and i just now to try to development myself using recent technology.

finally i will download rhino trial version and use it as you advise me to get faster results.

Regards

Wael elsafty