dimension value fixing problem in simple lisp

anandhan

(defun c:test ()

(setq obj (entsel "please select the dimension:-"))
 (setq ab  (fix(getreal "please enter the value to change:-" )))

(command "dim1" "new" ab obj "")

(princ)

)

hi friends

if i try to fix value more than 32600 it will fixed automatically some other value please help me

what is the reason for this?

Edited by anandhan

I was able to change a value all the way up to 32599 with no problem. As soon as I tried 33000 the value changed to -32536. That's weird.

You're working in metric units I presume?

By the way,you might want to change the spelling of the following words so it reads correctly.

dimention --> dimension

enther --> enter

chang --> change

Now that I think on it some more you might also want to change this line Please enter the value to change to... Please enter the new value. The difference is subtle but I think it is more correct. Just a suggestion.

if i try to fix value more than 32600 it will fixed automatically some other value please help me

what is the reason for this?

Actually, the limit is 32767 or (2^15)-1 - this is the upper-limit for a signed 16-bit integer; values higher than this will flip the sign bit and will result in values increasing from -32768.

This is a remnant from early releases of AutoCAD in which 16-bit signed integers were used as standard (you see the same limit when prompting for an integer using the getint function).

Nowadays, integers are represented using 32-bit or even 64-bit signed integers, giving upper-limits of 2,147,483,647 & 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 respectively.