Not opening AutoCad files on Windows XP, �Windows cannot find �%path%\filename.dwg"

jannerissanen

Windows XP SP2 - AutoCad 2005 LT

When double clicking on an Autocad File I get the massage Windows cannot find %path%\filename.dwg. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Searching in AutoDesks site I found out that all AutoCad Versions since 2000 have this problem, thou there are solutions for this problem for all versions there is nothing for 2005 LT.

Does anybody know how to solve this?

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Have you tried opening it without DOUBLE clicking in Windows?

I suggest opening it with Autocad instead.

Edited by Dadgad

thou there are solutions for this problem for all versions there is nothing for 2005 LT.

Does anybody know how to solve this?

The solution should be the same as it is for versions similar to yours.

• 2 weeks later...

If the drawing file (DWG) will not open at all:

Your drawing may show the message "Drawing file is not valid," display a message about errors being found, hang or crash during the open process, or simply may not appear in AutoCAD after you have selected to open it (i.e., you open it but all you ever see is the default "Drawing1.dwg" or another file that you currently have open).

Use the following article if you receive the "Drawing file is not valid" error when opening the DWG: Error: "Drawing file is not valid" when opening a file in AutoCAD.

You might have leftover .dwl or dwl2 files in the folder directory. These are two hidden files that have the same name as the .dwg file but with the extensions .dwl and .dwl2. In the Windows Control Panel, go to Folder Options. On the View tab, turn on the option to show hidden files. You can then go back to the folder directory and delete the .dwl and .dwl2 files if they are found alongside your DWG file. Attempt to open the DWG again.

Visit next knowledge base for more info and different ways for your case https://grabcad.com/questions/problem-opening-files-autocad-2006-files-how-to-fix-it