Dealing with Mixed Units

EatingSteak

I have some US components - in feet & inches - that I need to put onto mounting plates and cabinets that are all metric.

Comparatively, the components are very complicated and the cabinets rather simple. My drawing is staying in feet & inches.

However, for the plates, I need to move lines by a metric amount - like 25mm. Obviously, if I hit [M][Enter][25][

If I do an arithmetic conversion, it's going to be 0.9842519685... inches, but that will introduce rounding error. Is there any way to get an exact value here?

the simple answer is no. Drawings are done in "units" where 1 unit is whatever you want it to be but you can only have one unit system within the drawing.

As the cabinet is the simpler item I would scale it by 25.4 and then continue in only metric.

I do it way too often. Just did a few drawings today like that.

I set up the drawing with -DWGUNITS and select yes to insert items at the drawing scale. There are a few options for other system variables for insertion units, that sets everything up for you.

You can set up a second dimstyle for the metric or use alternate dimensions or adjust the dimensions individually through Properties.

Why not use decimal inches instead of feet and inches? Wouldn't that be more accurate?

I typically work in mms, our fabrication is done in China, but when working on projects stateside, if the fabrication will be done there, I am forced to use inches, which I hate.

Decimal inches makes everything easier, compared to converting them to metric, but rarely does one see a tape measure with decimal inches.

No doubt, Starrett and other high end companies sell them, but not too many people have them handy.

In such cases I just do an Inch based drawing (or use -dwgunits if need be), and create and use an Imperial dimstyle, rather than using the alternate dim display.

It seems like a recipe for disaster whenever you starting mixing units (ex. - imperial template and metric blocks). Why not stick with one unit and dimension using alternative units (i.e. - show both metric and imperial dimensions)?

Can your "components" be blocks? If so, when inserted they should automatically scale to match the host drawing. OSnaps should solve the rounding issues.