drumset

trial

Hi, i'm making a drumset for school. I'm stuck with making the cymbals. I heard you can draw the cross-cut and it's possible to get the cymbal. I know it sounds weird, but i don't know how i should formulate it. I hope it comes clear with the image. If I draw this, what should I do to get the cymbal?

PS: I'm not from an English speaking country so my english isn't very good, i'm sorry for that.

cymbal02.gif

Yup, REVOLVE is the command you're looking for. If the cross section you have there isn't a region or closed polyline, draw a box around half and use the BOUNDARY command. Use pick points and click inside the box but outside the cross section. That will create a polyline around the cross section and a duplicate rectangle. You can then delete the rectangles and revolve the polyline. Check out the sticky in this forum for some material sites and see if you can find a nice brushed brass to map onto it. Come back later when you're ready to get the Zildjian logo on there. :wink:

revsurf will create a surface of a non-closed polyline, revolve will create a solid.

trial, i would take that image you have and import it into cad as a raster image file. this will let you draw over the picture and get pretty close.

alright i drew it real quick to show you.

First i went to Insert>Raster Image File, then found the file and inserted it into the drawing(its really small so you will have to scale it or your cymbal up after).

once the drawing is inserted you can either draw over it with spline, and use the REGION command. or you can do this object with arcs. i drew it both ways and the cymbals are actually regular arcs so there is nothing funny about them. The first image show my lines in Yellow over your drawing. I turn OSNAP off while drawing these lines so it doesnt snap to the picture corners, but i turn it on when i need to snap to the endpoint of my previous lines.

Once the lines are drawn i delete or move the drawing to another layer and show just my lines. From there if you have used arcs you can use the PEDIT command and join all your arcs and straight lines. If you used SPLINE then you have to use REGION because PEDIT will not work on it. In my drawing you can see i drew a vertical line roughly were the center of the cymbal was. i used this for my axis of revolution. and voila.

drumhelp.jpg

drumhelp2.jpg

drumhelp3.jpg

Hi guys thanks for the massive support :) I did it with the revolve command, first I drew it with arc and then revolve.

Another question, you can see what i've made of my floor tom. As you can see i did the rim with revolve but in the other picture you see the rims have to come out a little bit to hang up the hoops. How do I do this?

Also how do I make the edges of everything a little bit more round? I know I have to use the fillet command but it just doesn't work.

Last image is what i have so far, there's still a lot of work but it's getting better :D

drum1.jpg

floor%20tom6.jpg

drum2.jpg

well if your revolve is a solid, fillet should work just fine, as long as the radius you are putting in is smaller than your shortest side. For instance if the rim is .25" tall, and you try to fillet the top edge of it, enter a value smaller than .25.

I dont understand what you are asking with the rim. You can draw the profile of the rim/lip and revolve that just as you did for the rim you have in your picture. If you like before you join your lines, you can fillet the corners before you revolve.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My drumset is almost ready, but how do I apply the real texture? For example the colour of the shells with a coated finish.

grtz

Hi, i'm making a drumset for school. ...speaking country so my english isn't very good, i'm sorry for that.

Students can download modern Autodesk 3D software for free from http://engineersrule.org

Your english is better than some of my students who have always spoken "english".

Hello,

My drumset is almost ready, but how do I apply the real texture? For example the colour of the shells with a coated finish.

grtz

you need to add the render tool bar or go to View>render>materials. You will have to go into the materials library or create your own material using some of the wonderful links in this forum. Once you apply materials, they will be seen when you render.