Soldraw issues

WagglyFawn

Could someone please explain why at seemingly random times when I use the soldraw command, AutoCAD creates new layers called "PV-???" & "PH-???" and decides to throw my projection on to those layers rather than the ones I named for the solview viewport??? I'm getting fed up with this problem.

Thank you!

The PH layers are for hidden lines and the PV layers are for Visible object. Be sure to change the linetype of the PH layers to hidden. AutoCAD will create a different group for each view. You will have a pair for the front view, right side view and so on....

Hmmm... I know what the layers are for. I think you misunderstood what I was asking about.

When I create a solview viewport the last thing I do is name the viewport. Let's same I name "Right". Once the command is completed, AutoCAD will create three layers for that view port: Right-DIM, Right-HID, & Right-VIS. NORMALLY when I soldraw the visible lines are displayed on the Right-VIS layer, the hidden lines on the Right-HID layer, and the Right-DIM layer is left for me to put dimensions on obviously.

Now what I'm asking is why sometimes AutoCAD will NOT put my visible and hidden lines on the appropriate layers and create new layers (PV & PH) for those lines.

PV and PH layers are created by the SOLPROF command. All the visible lines are converted to a block and placed on the PV... layer and the hidden ones -on the PH... also in a block.

• 1 year later...

Waggly Fawn: I'm having the same problem. The PV and PH layers are a Solprof output, and it appears as though soldraw uses solprof to generate the 2-D images, but for some reason, once you have more than one Layouts an apparantly error appears, where by soldraw is not deleting its PH-PV layers, and not moving the newly drawn objects to your specified layers.

If any of the advanced users can firstly confirm this chain of events, and then maybe illuminate us with a more in-depth explanation, that would be greatly appreciated - is there a particular combination of variables that trigger this bug?

I've used Soldraw and Solview countless times and never have I had PV and PH layer names created. As everyone knows, this is a function of the way SolProf works. Sounds like someone is combining both in one drawing. Maybe that explains why objects are not appearing on the layers specifically created for them. Isn't this like mixing apples and oranges? But it is your drawing and you are free to do with it as you see fit. Hope you can work on the kinks.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using AutoCAD 2000, and I'm not touching the solprof command. I've created 8 layouts of my model, and in the 8th I've got 4 viewports. Soldraw seems to work, but it puts the new -VIS -HID lines in PV- and PH- layers instead of where they should be.

I have only been able to find out that this appears to occur randomly, and is possibly an artifact of soldraw using solprof behind the scenes, but then stuffing it up on the last step. Is this right?

WM: Can't say I agree with you. However, seeing how it is you are using 2000 and I'm using 2009 (previous to that I used 2004 and 2007) perhaps there is some anomaly. Have you checked the AutoDesk website (Discussion Forums) for anyone else encountering this puzzling set of events?

Well, apparantly Autodesk are quiet on this one. I found one post that suggested that in light of this silence I should just merge the layers.

discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=272008񂚈

Another post suggest I keep OSNAPS on before running solview and soldraw.

PS: No truly "smart dude" would say "can't" to mathematical models. There has some amazing research and progress in this field and such absolute statements are not insightful at all! :)