Simplest way for one duct to pass another?

Siberian

I've drawn a drawn a duct run that is on a collision course with another duct at the same elevation, so it needs to pass over or under. This is quite a typical event so how do I make this passing using as few clicks as possible? The question also applies to piping, but I suppose it works pretty much the same way. I'm using MEP 2008. Thanks :)

Siberian:

I usually stop the duct short of the collision and copy it over the collision and the change the elevation to the new elevation and add duct to the duct connector. MEP then puts in the appropriate offsets. Also as you are drawing you can change the elevations in the add duct window to set your duct run down. I'm sure there are much easier ways to do it but that is how I have always done it.

I keep this setting unchecked when routing duct... that way you can choose what degree at which the duct will rise/slope at. This way it won't create a riser at each new elevation change. :)

3120879414_354ab7b6d5_o.png

Thx guys, just one more thing;

When passing another duct or pipe or whatever there's no way of knowing the size of what you're passing if you don't already know it, so you might still end up hitting it after elevating up or down. The following feature could have been included (the program I used earlier for piping had this);

When facing a collision you can chose to elevate to top/center/bottom of either the pipe/duct in front of you, or another AutoCAD / X-ref object. Just an idea :) Maybe such a feature does exist and I'm just not seeing it...

True, but honestly, I pretty much know exactly what size every duct run is when I'm laying out my ductruns. Even if it's not a Design/Build that is engineered straight from us, I still pretty much know what size duct is where.

Also, I usually do a 2 Viewport horizontal split where one side is a 2D plan view and the other is a 3D Isometric view, so at any given point in time I can see what's happening in plan view and in 3D space, so it helps me stay efficient when I'm running ductwork. :)

I keep this setting unchecked when routing duct... that way you can choose what degree at which the duct will rise/slope at. This way it won't create a riser at each new elevation change. :)

Apparently when this setting is checked the riser always happens with 90 degrees. Can MEP be configured so that this 90 degree riser is automatically done with two 45 degree bends as close to the riser as possible?

Thx guys, just one more thing;

When passing another duct or pipe or whatever there's no way of knowing the size of what you're passing if you don't already know it, so you might still end up hitting it after elevating up or down. The following feature could have been included (the program I used earlier for piping had this);

When facing a collision you can chose to elevate to top/center/bottom of either the pipe/duct in front of you, or another AutoCAD / X-ref object. Just an idea :) Maybe such a feature does exist and I'm just not seeing it...

If you are in an isometric view the center grip on the piece of duct can be used for elevation changes....

Apparently when this setting is checked the riser always happens with 90 degrees. Can MEP be configured so that this 90 degree riser is automatically done with two 45 degree bends as close to the riser as possible?

Of course. Just use the Routing layout method as shown and choose 45 degrees, or whatever your heart desires. If you leave it to User Defined, then the Rise/Drop will simply calculate itself between the elevation change and the distance between the two pick points you choose. :)

3128232044_3f48d83f2b_o.png