Changing blocks to a single layer quickly

RichardLloyd

Hi All,

I have received a drawing from a client where I have got to put the building and lighting layout on to our company paperwork so that I can submit my drawings fro approval. However, the drawings that they have sent are made up of blocks upon blocks, with blocks within blocks, etc.

What I would like to typically do with these types of drawing, is make a single "Client_Layer" so that I can combine them all as one, in a single colour so when I draw my pipework and equipment in the relevant colours that our supervising body requires and it is all visible and clear.

I have done the "Setbylayer" command already to see if i could get the blocks to change over to the 'client_layer', but this has proved unsuccessful. I was wondering if there is another simple way to mass change them over, instead of going in to the remaining 438 blocks that didn't change and doing them all separately :cry:.

Thanks in advance, hopefully!

It sounds like there are multiple layers within the blocks. Either set those layers to the appropriate color or use LAYMRG to get them all to just a single layer.

Thank you for the reply RobDraw. Unfortunately it doesn't let me do that option and wont merge the layers. I have just gone in to one block to see whether i can do it within the block editor, and there are 9 blocks making up the one block on the drawings! Annoyingly, each wall is a separate block, consisting of the inner skin as 1 block, the outer skin as another, and the hatch as a third block as a minimum per wall!

Looks like Im going to have to go through it individually to clean it up :(

What part of the setbylayer isn't doing what you need ? that command should set all the blocks including nested blocks all to ByLayer, then put the blocks onto the "client_layer" and they should all show up with the color of that layer

Hi Steven,

for some reason it isn't doing the majority of the drawing, whether they are nested blocks or just single blocks. The only way that I have been able to quicken the process up is by exploding the blocks and doing it that way, even then I am having to explode blocks 4 or 5 times to fully 'extract' them to be able to alter them.

One thing that I have found out is that the original drawing was done in another piece of software, so whether that is the issue or not?

Unfortunately it doesn't let me do that option and wont merge the layers.

It should.

What is the message you get when you try to merge layers? I've never had an issue with that command unless the layer I am trying to merge is the current one but AutoCAD lets you know if that is the case.

Sounds like you are dealing with a drawing from AutoCad Architecture. The blocks you describe may have come from a custom wall "style".