Drawing Standards & Management

Secretagdan

I am the manager of the drafting department for a small company. Every once in a while, the owner (basically a salesman) will decide that he absolutely has to change the way that we lay out our drawings.

A few recent examples are:

n Changing the dimension line origin offset variable to something that exceeds 2”.

n Placing a ‘Front’ view over a ‘Top’ view.

n Placing a ‘Left’ view on the right of a ‘Front’ view.

I don’t have a problem catering to his needs sometimes, but things like this goes against everything that I have ever learned about drafting. I can argue against doing any of this, (for obvious reasons) but sometimes it’s in vein.

I helped set up the standards for drawings years ago. We have templates, lisp routines and other various things that help increase our productivity. Obviously a lot of that would have to change.

What I am looking for are some sort of national or international set of basic drawing standards, that I can pull out and show to him when he decides to make changes like this. I know there are ANSI standards out there; I have tried to look them up.

It seems that there are quite a few lists for drawing standards, for different areas of drafting. Would anyone know which one of the standards I would need for this? I do not want to purchase a set of drawing standards with out making sure it is what I want or need to accomplish this task. Or is there any other recourse online that I can use? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What discipline are we talking here, mechanical, architectural, other?

For architectural the bible is Architectural Graphics Standards. Another good source is the AIA.

For mechanical drawings nothing beats "old style". Any of French's books about drafting still hold up well even in this day and age of CAD.

For the most part I would guess that what I do would be somewhere between Architectual & Manufacturing. It really depends on the project.

Thanks for the suggestions, on literature, I will take a look at them & see if I can get them in my office.