Publishing from model space tips

mkisno4

Hi everyone. I've just got into publishing in autocad, but as a heads up, my drawings and title blocks are in model space and I don't use paper space.

To summarize, I set up my drawings through the Page Setup Manager, and created a page for every sheet in my file from that menu. Then I add those sheets to the Publish menu and go from there.

However, two quick questions that are probably related:

1. When I add my sheets to the publish menu, is there a way to allow it to automatically import all my page setups? Right now I add the file, then I select "Copy selected sheets” and copy it for every sheet in my file.
  2. Once I have all my sheets loaded in, is there a quick way to change the page setup from the drop down menu for all my sheets at once? Right now I go in manually and select the correct page setup for each sheet.

Sorry if I'm not clear I can clarify if need be.

Thank you!

The way you are doing it is the only way to do it in publisher. To automate multiple plots from model space is going to require code.

Paper space is the way to go, even if all you do is create a viewport in each layout for each title block.

Could you clarify - do you have one drawing in Model Space per drawing file?

For #2 you select the top file, hold shift and select the bottom sheet name, use the drop down arrow under pagesetup and pick the pagesetup to apply to all sheet names.

The way you are doing it is the only way to do it in publisher. To automate multiple plots from model space is going to require code.

Paper space is the way to go, even if all you do is create a viewport in each layout for each title block.

paper space rules indeed otherwise it would not exist

Sorry, got caught up with different things. Thank you all for the replies!

I see, okay well I'll look into doing that, just creating a viewport for each of my titleblocks. It would speed things up in the long run.

Could you clarify - do you have one drawing in Model Space per drawing file?

For #2 you select the top file, hold shift and select the bottom sheet name, use the drop down arrow under pagesetup and pick the pagesetup to apply to all sheet names.

No I have multiple drawings in model space per drawing file.

Doesn't your tip just apply the same pagesetup to all the sheets? I'm trying to apply different page setups to different sheets.

Thank you, this looks interesting. I'm not very familiar with lisp routines, but this does look like something worth looking into. I'll see how I can use it.

I knew you would point to the right spot, BIGAL. Now, if the OP is listening, he's got enough info to work out a plan of action.

Yes I do, thank you all for the feedback, I'll see which approach makes the most sense for my situation :)

I misunderstood what you were after for #2. Your life would be so much easier moving to PS Layouts.

Instead of Publish you will need to use a script which I think BIGAL posted a link for.

Version 2 of the plot all titles in modelpsace would be plot a range, its not hard to add but really using layouts is the way to go. Plot all or a range. Part of this post.

'http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?84430-Move-layout-Rename-layouts-Goto-layout

Robdraw have the links saved in a spreadsheet keep meaning to add more.

Thank you for the reply. Well I was looking through the options suggested, and I was wondering if there was a way to create a page setup lisp routine? A kind of hybrid of the options suggested.

I'm still new to it all, but basically I've found that -plot does almost what I need. When I first tried it (simply through the command menu), I went through all the options and then it asked me for a pagesetup name, which was perfect. But then when I run the command again, it only asks if I want to overwrite my page setup, not if I want to create a new one. I even tried it on another file, but same thing...?

Any ideas how I can make it work the way I want?

Thanks for all the help!

I think it's asking if you want to assign the page set-up with a different one that was previously created.

Hopefully I won't have to say this again. Layouts are way easier.