multiscreens

bjenk8100

Hello,

We have access to autocad 2014 to 2016 on our machines. I am almost positive in autocad 2014 that it is impossible to view two dwg files on two different screens unless you open a second autocad application. Has this changed in the newer versions. I have looked this up and only really found the two acad applications open. It is not that much of a pain to keep two applications open but I think it would be nice so that layer, properties, tool, etc palettes do not get confusing if you dock around. Im guessing not. I saw that microstation created some new function that solved this so maybe autocad did.

Greatly appreciated!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bjenk8100

• Dana W

• Cad64

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can show two drawings on two different screens, by using the TILE VERTICALLY option which you will find in the Windows drop down on the Menu Bar. If you tile them vertically, you can then enlarge the Autodesk window, to create some free space between the two drawings, which will coincide with the cusp between the two screens. However, as they are both in the same workspace, your ribbon or toolbars will bridge from one screen to the other, which is less than ideal. Shown on a single screen, but the Autocad window can be situated to bridge from one monitor to the other.

tile windows vertically.jpg

sorry meant two different monitors. This is what goes on. I open a drawing and need another drawings that I use for reference. I copy paste somethings from similar projects. I want the one I am referencing from on one monitor and the current working model on the primary. Currently, I open autocad, get my template and get my drawing setup. I then have to open an entire new autocad application and move to another monitor. I am able to copy paste or just look at whats going on to both even though they are separate files on different complete autocad applications/monitors. Many programs allow you to minimize a drawings and move it to another screen. I just do not know why they all do not. Thanks for reply though.

I have tiled them. Not huge drawings though. Just impossible in todays patience level. Some years ago I did that all the time. Got pretty good at the Pan tool in that craziness.

sorry meant two different monitors. This is what goes on. I open a drawing and need another drawings that I use for reference. I copy paste somethings from similar projects. I want the one I am referencing from on one monitor and the current working model on the primary. Currently, I open autocad, get my template and get my drawing setup. I then have to open an entire new autocad application and move to another monitor. I am able to copy paste or just look at whats going on to both even though they are separate files on different complete autocad applications/monitors. Many programs allow you to minimize a drawings and move it to another screen. I just do not know why they all do not. Thanks for reply though.

Understood, which was why I said..... "Shown on a single screen, but the Autocad window can be situated to bridge from one monitor to the other."

As shown on one screen, but you can drag the entire Autocad window (in which they have been tiled) half way onto the external monitor, so that the unused screen space shown in my screen shot is between the two displays.

In that way you WILL see dwg.1 on the left screen and dwg.2 on the right screen.

Once you have done that, you still have the option of resizing the Autocad window from either of your monitors, by clicking and dragging on one of the edges or a corner.

yea. i really just want to have a bunch of tabs on one screen and drag one to another monitor like you can do with docked items. For instance, I will have a drawing open on my one screen adn drag properties, layers, tool pallets onto the monitor. I dock them there. It works pretty well. Why not a drawing tab. There is probably a bigger reason that I do not understand. The drawing probably has to be within the application for a reasons. Probably crash the program every minute even if they did figure out a way. Lets put this to rest. I will just open drawings I just need to reference in another app in the other screen. Just inconvenient.

Many programs allow you to minimize a drawings and move it to another screen. I just do not know why they all do not.

Just out of curiosity, besides Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., what other programs can do this? Are there other CAD or 3D programs that have this ability?

Just out of curiosity, besides Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., what other programs can do this? Are there other CAD or 3D programs that have this ability?
As far as I know, there are none. Most CAD programs don't have detachable document windows, since they can't control the display pixel matrix outside of their own window. Heck, some of them have enough trouble managing their own display matrix, much less taking on Windows too.

There are sub-routines that AutoCad calls that run in independent windows though, like List, Layer manager, etc.

MS Office programs work around this by Automatically opening another doc or xls in a NEW Program instance even when opening from the program File menu.

Of course, if you can construct a wormhole....

Short of a wormhole, (my fusion reactor is broke) I would also like to be able to put a dwg file on each of my dual monitors without opening two AutoCad programs.

As far as I know, there are none.

Yeah, that's what I thought but since it was mentioned that many programs can do this, I wanted to find out if there was something I was missing.

Yeah, that's what I thought but since it was mentioned that many programs can do this, I wanted to find out if there was something I was missing.
I think that comes from people misinterpreting the way MS Office programs work, which always force you into two or more totally separate program instances when two or more separate files are opened, even from inside the program File menu.

In Excel, one can have more than one spreadsheet in one program instance, but they are in the same file then, just like layout tabs.

MS Office programs will automatically send the second window (program) to monitor 'B', but only after you have manually slid it over there at least one prior time. They always go to the spot you last used.

In my personal experience, only AutoCad and Photoshop can open more than one file in the same program instance. There may be others, but I never worked with them.

Of course, if you can construct a wormhole....

Short of a wormhole, (my fusion reactor is broke) I would also like to be able to put a dwg file on each of my dual monitors without opening two AutoCad programs.

You need a fusion reactor to make a singularity, a wormhole requires a warp drive, clearly you have your star trek scientifical stuff mixed up

You need a fusion reactor to make a singularity, a wormhole requires a warp drive, clearly you have your star trek scientifical stuff mixed up
I guess I gotta go research my "Made Up Stuff" scienctifical reference books. (I tried to put three asterisks following an "S" in place of the word stuff, and the powers above blew me offline.):rofl:

I guess I gotta go research my "Made Up Stuff" scienctifical reference books. (I tried to put three asterisks following an "S" in place of the word stuff, and the powers above blew me offline.):rofl:

Thats because stuff has 4 asteriks's you should have used Fake instead

i know microstation has done something for this. But yea most drafting software does programs do not. Most other software does. Maybe its just the way its programmed or something. I dunno its just real annoying. Not to mention having more than one app open is not the best for the pc either as far as performance.

"Not to mention having more than one app open is not the best for the pc either as far as performance."

Your computer must be pretty anemic.

I don't see what the big deal is about not just stretching the window across two screens. It can be done in a matter of seconds.

Another option is to use Ctrl+Tab to quickly cycle through open drawings.

having more than one app open is not the best for the pc either as far as performance.

Unless you have a single core processor, running multiple apps at the same time should be no problem at all.