Dinasaur trying to cope with newer releases

PGuatney

"Get a book on AutoCAD!" or "Get some training!" or "Shut-up and stop whining. Isn't really a practical or particularly helpful solution. Actually, it is the lazy solution that says: "Man, I am glad I don't have your lack of skills....you need to get more of them.." So, this forum is a place for that. More and better skills.

Lazy and unhelpful huh? :?

Alrighty then. I'm done here, but I'm sure these other guys will be happy to stay and chat with you.

Good luck and have a great day. :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Dana W

• RobDraw

• PGuatney

Thanks all for the responses. I only want to spark spirited debate, backed up by facts about a piece of software that has been a daily friend and source of income to me for more than 1/2 of my life. I look to improve mine and anyone else's efficiency, only. I hope this thread has inspired some to imagine that there are still people seeking answers who have an entire wealth of knowledge within them already and only ask for help when all other avenues have been exhausted. Those people should come here to find those answers.

Let's face facts. There is no "Easy" button. Now you can either set up AutoCAD to emulate the "classic" look (drop down menus and toolbars) or think about doing a little customization which, by the way, is nowhere as difficult as you have made it out to be. Take it from someone who has been using AutoCAD since version 1.2 (that would be last century for anyone who cares).

Lazy and unhelpful huh? :?

Alrighty then. I'm done here, but I'm sure these other guys will be happy to stay and chat with you.

Good luck and have a great day. :)

>>>>>>>>>shrug

I'm still irritated about being called lazy, but let me make something perfectly clear before I go.

You said my advice to "Get a Book" was not practical or helpful. Well, let me tell you a little story. Once upon a time, many, many years ago, I worked at a machine shop where we used Autocad version R12, (around 1992 I believe). I was with the company for several years, but they never upgraded their software so I used R12 for a good 6 years or so before leaving to pursue employment at another company. When I started at the new company, they were using Autocad 2000. So I went from R12, which was entirely menu based, to 2000, which was entirely toolbars. That was a big leap and I was pretty lost. So I went to the local bookstore and bought a book. I read that book, cover to cover, and ended up going from totally lost and asking everyone for help, to being the go-to guy in the office because I knew more after reading that book than anyone else.

So, the moral to this story is, don't be so quick to dismiss the advice being given. It does not come from a place of laziness. It comes from real world experience. I told you to get a book because it helped me immensely, so I thought maybe it would help you also. If my advice was not to your liking, so be it, but don't belittle me for offering it. I don't get paid to be here and I don't have to respond to questions. I do it because I enjoy helping others, but when it's no longer fun, I walk away.

I have been using Autocad for close to 30 years and I have been a member here for nearly 10 years, giving my time to help run the forum and assisting thousands of people find solutions to their problems. Everyone here knows me and I think they know that I will go the extra mile to help anyone, provided they make an attempt to help themselves. You need to ask questions if you want to find answers. Coming here just to complain about how Autocad doesn't work the way it used to is not going to get your problems solved.

Ok, my rant is over and I will now join Dana over in the corner.

>>>>>>>>>shrug

I've got a question.

Why upgrade, if you were more than happy with the status quo?

In my line of work, keeping up with new technologies is pretty important. The company I work for stayed on the same version for eight years. During that time I kept up with the changes by reading about them and utilizing trial periods.

Even now that I get to enjoy regular upgrades, I know about the new features before I get to use them. There are always things that help my workflow and I also find things that were not included in those lists of new features.

As to customization of the interface, I'm fairly certain that there are ways to migrate most things as to not hinder normal workflow of the previous version. As you have found, the "Classic" interface is still available with the functionality that you enjoy.

What you're attempt to spark debate fails to recognize is that the newer contextual interface(s) are leaps and bounds ahead of the menubar, toolbars, and buttons with fancy icons.

This whole thing kicked off because,

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.:lol:

D

I'm still at a loss to see how this thread has gone on so long.

@PGuatney -

Not sure where you are in life, or what all has transpired that upgrading a few version is somehow such an issue (and I don't care one iota, frankly), but I acknowledge that for you it is a big issue. So be it; it is an issue for you, and I'm not here to argue the point.

That said, are you a quitter?

Have you completely given up?

Is this the example you want to set for those you love and respect, whom look up to you?

Is this (what you've communicated here in this thread) really the best you can do after 20+ years?

'Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome' - isn't an age-specific mantra, last I checked.

Your life decisions have brought you to this point after so many years, and you again have a decision to make -

You can continue to give up, in which case you'll surely be replaced....

... Or you can buck up buttercup, and get the job done, because you _do_ have 20+ years of experience, and have the testicular fortitude to do the job better than your would-be replacement.

The choice is yours to make, and you shall benefit from the outcome, either way... Live with it.

Cheers

In one of your earlier posts you wrote...".many features have been removed or at least the quick access to them has been removed. THIS is what has stalled my productivity."

Please name the features that have been removed.

Please name the features that you no longer have quick access to.

Please confirm the version of AutoCAD you use the most on a daily basis.

Thank you.

OK, I am not making this up, I just found out for sure yesterday. I am starting a new full time job on the 23rd. I have to make the jump from AutoCad 2015, to AutoCad 2005. :huh::facepalm::rofl:

Yup, that's right. All the way back to before dynamic blocks.

They're an Architectural Millwork Shop, that does not have a CNC machine, or even an automated panel saw.

You knew that when you interviewed for the job right?

Any plans on bringing them kicking and screaming into the 21st century or will you just do your best imitation of Fred Flintstone?

You knew that when you interviewed for the job right?
Nope, well I didn't know they were going to make me use it. Anyway, it's worth it.

The only other draftsman has been there for 19 years and he likes it. We'll see what happens. They are not sure they have another seat.

Any plans on bringing them kicking and screaming into the 21st century or will you just do your best imitation of Fred Flintstone?
Yep, the hard way, at first. My new laptop with 2015 LT on it plugged into their 27" monitor, no internet connection so its under the radar. They said its OK, if i want to go that way, but they are still setting up a computer for me.

Plowing the prairie with a wooden plow and an ox.

It won't be so bad, I used 2009 with the classic workspace until 2014, so I won't be falling so far backward.

Oh, wait. 2005 has no dynamic input, and no pdf. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrggh.

OK, I am not making this up, I just found out for sure yesterday. I am starting a new full time job on the 23rd. I have to make the jump from AutoCad 2015, to AutoCad 2005. :huh::facepalm::rofl:

Yup, that's right. All the way back to before dynamic blocks.

They're an Architectural Millwork Shop, that does not have a CNC machine, or even an automated panel saw.

Well maybe just rock up with your set of Rotring pens and a set square. LOL