Layer Control with Viewports

tzframpton

Is there a way to Thaw layers that you've frozen in a viewport all at once, kinda like -LAYER > THAW > * does in model space? I hate having to bring the layer drop down menu and scroll through the entire list unchecking these things. lol, Thanks in advance. 8)

Vplayer is fine if you want all frozen layers to thaw, but if you only want specific layers to thaw, I would suggest creating a layer state with the Express Tools LMAN layer manager. Just make sure your viewport is active when you create the layer state. Then when you need specific layers to thaw just activate the viewport, open LMAN, select your saved layer state and hit Restore. If you have multiple viewports, the restored layer state will only effect the active viewport. You could set up two states, one for frozen and one for thawed and then just toggle back and forth between the two.

now that is a good tip, because we usually have 3 different layer states at all times, switching back and forth. mainly because we use primarily three different scales - 1/16" 1/8" and 1/4" so our annotations and certain objects, we have 3 different sets of.

i never knew the Layer States Manager could save an active viewport's setting as well.... man i love this forum. Thanks Caddy. :)

EDIT: you should give that as a new post in the Tip Thread.

• 1 year later...
I would suggest creating a layer state with the Express Tools LMAN layer manager. Just make sure your viewport is active when you create the layer state. Then when you need specific layers to thaw just activate the viewport, open LMAN, select your saved layer state and hit Restore. If you have multiple viewports, the restored layer state will only effect the active viewport. You could set up two states, one for frozen and one for thawed and then just toggle back and forth between the two.

I don't get it.

What is the difference between that and just freezing the layers through the viewport?

For instance; I am working on an architectural tenant improvement plan with a floor plan, floor finish plan and reflected ceiling plan all set up in layer states. Pretty rudimentary. I create a vport and lman it to display the floor plan. I then create a second vport. The second viewport duplicates the first floor plan because it doesn't know any better. I activate (and by activate I assume that means entering the vport through pspace) and freeze the layers I don't need then lman edit to bring in the layers I do and save the state.

Then the layers display in the first vport and I have to freeze them off.

There has got to be an easier way.

I don't get it.

What is the difference between that and just freezing the layers through the viewport?

For instance; I am working on an architectural tenant improvement plan with a floor plan, floor finish plan and reflected ceiling plan all set up in layer states. Pretty rudimentary. I create a vport and lman it to display the floor plan. I then create a second vport. The second viewport duplicates the first floor plan because it doesn't know any better. I activate (and by activate I assume that means entering the vport through pspace) and freeze the layers I don't need then lman edit to bring in the layers I do and save the state.

Then the layers display in the first vport and I have to freeze them off.

There has got to be an easier way.

when you change the layer settings & save the states, it overwrites the current selected layer states so

for a second VP you have to selct new in layer states manager, give it a name & than edit & save, so it will not effect the first VP.

Additional Tip:

When ever you add new layer to the drawing you have to go to each layer states, edit & save so it will overwrite the previous settings.

I used to use LMAN religiously prior to 2008 version.

Nowadays, I use layerstates; as layerstates has somewhat replaced LMAN.

Layerstates can however import LMAN settings from drawings produced in versions prior to 2008

• 9 months later...

I have tryed everything. And I still cant get my layermaneger to work. If I have a roof framing plan and foundation plan on the same paper space I set up the layer states for each. The problem is that when I change between layer states it changes to the same one in bouth viewports. So the foundation viewport goes back to roof. ahhhhhhh:cry:

vplayer is/was incredible.

it would be really nice if autodesk would fix it in 09. it won't let you apply changes to all layouts, it's just broken.

... I hate having to bring the layer drop down menu and scroll through the entire list unchecking these things. ...8)

Also, in the layer manager you can sort my VP Freeze so all the frozen ones will show at the top or bottom of the list, select them all at once and pick thaw once.